Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 12-01-2011, 11:48 PM

Default New Eucon features for Euphonix and not for Icon

Hi all,

I just watched the new video about the PT10 Eucon features for Euphonix consoles, I just wonder if I made to good choice one and a half years ago to buy a 24 faders D-command.
To be honest, I feel a bit let down by Avid for the moment ....

Sorry to bother you with some negatives thoughts but I wanted to share my feelings.

Have a nice day.

Pascal
www.standup.be

MacPro 2019 16 Core
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1
HDX 1
D-Command
Old 12-02-2011, 02:13 AM

Default Re: New Eucon features for Euphonix and not for Icon

Same, I recently blogged about how channel strip isnt icon optimised with its mapping, but more importantly:

CF Plugin Maps has been minorly broken since 9.0 and still no fix - Avid PLEASE get plugin maps to stay enabled when you focus on another channel then return. Im so TIRED of hitting the "MAP" button...its getting worn out!!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:31 AM

I think the D-Control is going to quietly fade away. The D-Command is a trickier one for them. Unless there's something in the wings they don't have anything at that price point in the Euphonix range, even the the System 5MC is quite a bit more expensive, let alone S5 Fusion or System 5. You do get the sense that the ICON is the forgotten stepchild now though, no major new features for quite a while.

Pete
Old 12-02-2011, 07:36 AM

It is a concern for sure.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:40 PM

I was about to do a 24 chan D-comm with my HDX upgrade, but have decided on a 32 channel Artist setup in hopes that in the next 12-18 months there is a Sys 5-MC JR. to fit that void in the middle.

Eucon is clearly the future, and the Artist series continues to improve, and should be a fine upgrade for the interim from my trusty old ProControl.

peace

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 PM

I can't (or don't want to) imagine Avid would let the Icon consoles fade away ....
If they don't "implement" Eucon in the consoles, wouldn't it be the least to have some kind of a "small" Eucon control panel which you could put on your Icon ?
www.standup.be

MacPro 2019 16 Core
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1
HDX 1
D-Command
Old 12-11-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remotedude View Post
I've been told (and believe) by an AVID insider that D-Control and Pro Tools will remain the most integrated solution. EUCON is being designed to work with not only PT but other platforms. Since many of the D-Control features still are not found on the Euphonix surfaces or in EUCON I don't think anyone who has chosen the ICON solution will be disappointed.
I was told the same thing by an Avid rep this spring. Now after PT10 release I doubt it. I love my D-Command, but my plans are for Sys 5 MC.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2555539/
Old 01-13-2012, 01:25 AM

I'd be dissapointed if Avid chooses to drop the ICON and focuses on Euphonix MC family. After working for a month on System5/Eucon/PT9 combo, all I can say is that the integration and communication between S5 and PT is ridiculously inefficient and basic.
To begin with channel mapping - clumsy, unstable, requiring serious re-work after any change in the PT session. Scribble strips are only 4 characters wide, so you have to rename your channels if you want to see any valid info on the desk.
One of the things that really shocked me is the LCD screen above the channel strips - it is narrower than those 8 channels it represents, so it is very difficult to identify channels instantly - very un-ergonomic!
Channel Automation switches are ridiculous, hard to identify. There's no separate TRIM button!
The only thing that really shines is the monitoring section, although, for us that mix sound for film, I'm missing paddles or something else that could be easily identified without looking at.
ICON - custom faders, PI mapping, center section - is a dream machine compared to S5.
My 2 cents.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
all I can say is that the integration and communication between S5 and PT is ridiculously inefficient and basic.
To begin with channel mapping - clumsy, unstable, requiring serious re-work after any change in the PT session.
Branko,

On the System 5MC, you can map any track(s) in any numbers anywhere on the mixing desk. That means you don't have to set up a preference to the left side or the right side unlike the Icon, neither to decide how many faders will be used for the channel mapping. You just hit LAYOUT, select the tracks you want on the matrix display, hit the WAVE (focus) button on the channel where you want to start your "Custom fader group", hit Layout again and its done! Of course you can also save and rename the layouts and recall them on any soft key of your choice... One thing to remember is even if there is only 56 hardware soft keys there is unlimited amount of layouts you can have.

I agree that using LAYOUTS can be tricky at first and found out the best way to work with it is to "Show all tracks" all the time in PT and use the "Replace" Layout mode. In this mode you can save your "banking and nudging" state on the desk as Layouts. This is a quick and dirty way to set layouts but if you add tracks in PT you will have to update your layouts. If you want your layouts to be locked when adding tracks in PT, you have to "direct assign" your layouts which is a bit longer than creating layouts by banking and nudging, but really easy to do.

Quote:
Scribble strips are only 4 characters wide, so you have to rename your channels if you want to see any valid info on the desk.
One of the things that really shocked me is the LCD screen above the channel strips - it is narrower than those 8 channels it represents, so it is very difficult to identify channels instantly - very un-ergonomic!
From the FFT display, you can easily see the name of the channels ( 8 to 10 characters, depending if capital letters are being used). You have also a meter display beside each fader that eliminate any confusion. All parameters for EQ ,Dyn, Pan, Send, Input, Output , are displayed on the FFT. Also when touching any rotary encoder or fader you see your parameter in a highlight yellow box being updated. The amount of precious feedback you get from the FFT displays is unbelievable.

Quote:
Channel Automation switches are ridiculous, hard to identify. There's no separate TRIM button!
I totally agree with you. But if you hit the combo "wave" + "N" keys on the channel strips you can scroll choose your automation mode (including trim) with the fader then hit the "Y" key. A bit longer than direct access but easily done in 3 sec.

Quote:
The only thing that really shines is the monitoring section, although, for us that mix sound for film, I'm missing paddles or something else that could be easily identified without looking at.
Its hard to find a very good monitor section in a controller. we use this:

http://www.adgil.com/directoroverview.htm

Quote:
ICON - custom faders, PI mapping, center section - is a dream machine compared to S5.
I would like to have the PI mapping. I hope Avid will add this feature. In the meantime I make layouts to recall global session plugins and use fader flip mode on the 8 channel strip encoders when needed. Have you try the "system 5" or the "system 5-MC"? I haven't try the system 5 but the integration of the system 5 MC and PT 10 is much better than PT9. I also really prefer the center section of the MC but it might be a question of taste.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the Icon is a great controller but With a system 5 MC you get eucon commands for everything... and they can be assign anywhere. How better can it be?

Of course, this is my humble opinion... and my 2 cents.
http://immersivesoundvr.com/
Old 02-01-2012, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The golfer View Post
Branko,

On the System 5MC, you can map any track(s) in any numbers anywhere on the mixing desk. That means you don't have to set up a preference to the left side or the right side unlike the Icon, neither to decide how many faders will be used for the channel mapping. You just hit LAYOUT, select the tracks you want on the matrix display, hit the WAVE (focus) button on the channel where you want to start your "Custom fader group", hit Layout again and its done! Of course you can also save and rename the layouts and recall them on any soft key of your choice... One thing to remember is even if there is only 56 hardware soft keys there is unlimited amount of layouts you can have.

I agree that using LAYOUTS can be tricky at first and found out the best way to work with it is to "Show all tracks" all the time in PT and use the "Replace" Layout mode. In this mode you can save your "banking and nudging" state on the desk as Layouts. This is a quick and dirty way to set layouts but if you add tracks in PT you will have to update your layouts. If you want your layouts to be locked when adding tracks in PT, you have to "direct assign" your layouts which is a bit longer than creating layouts by banking and nudging, but really easy to do.

From the FFT display, you can easily see the name of the channels ( 8 to 10 characters, depending if capital letters are being used). You have also a meter display beside each fader that eliminate any confusion. All parameters for EQ ,Dyn, Pan, Send, Input, Output , are displayed on the FFT. Also when touching any rotary encoder or fader you see your parameter in a highlight yellow box being updated. The amount of precious feedback you get from the FFT displays is unbelievable.

I totally agree with you. But if you hit the combo "wave" + "N" keys on the channel strips you can scroll choose your automation mode (including trim) with the fader then hit the "Y" key. A bit longer than direct access but easily done in 3 sec.

Its hard to find a very good monitor section in a controller. we use this:

http://www.adgil.com/directoroverview.htm

I would like to have the PI mapping. I hope Avid will add this feature. In the meantime I make layouts to recall global session plugins and use fader flip mode on the 8 channel strip encoders when needed. Have you try the "system 5" or the "system 5-MC"? I haven't try the system 5 but the integration of the system 5 MC and PT 10 is much better than PT9. I also really prefer the center section of the MC but it might be a question of taste.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the Icon is a great controller but With a system 5 MC you get eucon commands for everything... and they can be assign anywhere. How better can it be?

Of course, this is my humble opinion... and my 2 cents.
I just played with the System 5-MC today, and I'd have to say that I think I like it better than the ICON now. The TFT and smart lcd switches are worth the price of admission alone, and now with PT10, it's super stable, super fast, and very customizable. And now since you can use the XMON with it, it's almost a no brainer. I just want the Custom faders on it. I'm hoping that will happen when EuCon phase three gets rolled out.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro