Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2016, 03:58 PM

Default S3 and Logic X tips and tricks

Hello,

So I've had my S3 for about a week. I've dug in and can do basic functionality such as assigning outputs, inserts, etc from the board but I want to go deeper. There is not much info out there in regards to going deep with this controller and Logic. Does anyone have any tips on extracting more out of Logic? I like the board but I'm way underwhelmed by the lack of info.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:27 PM

Default Re: S3 and Logic X tips and tricks

Any tips in regards to key presses and what they do, etc? Avid or anyone?
Old 07-02-2016, 05:30 PM

I'm not a logic user but what happens when you go into EU control settings or hit the second from the bottom right key on the right side ? Looks like a eye.

This should bring up and tell you what each soft key will do and you can change any of them.

If you can't get a grip on it I'll take a look for you tomorrow as I have logic but just use PT.

If you want PM me we can have a Skype and a look at it together if it would help ? :)

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite
Old 07-04-2016, 05:03 AM

Norrie, thanks for responding. I've been able to uncover more by using it though I still know that I'm either not scratching the surface or it is not capable. Case in point. You can assign 100's of custom commands to an SSL Nucleus but it seems the button real estate/design is more limited on the S3 and you can only use the right and left button controls for that. Maybe I'm missing something but just want to make sure as I'm evaluating the S3 to see if it will work for me or not.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:19 PM

A long long time user of the Mackie/logic control and pretty much the only things I miss are the Transport section and a couple of the second level commands such as, EQ + Vpot8 (for instans-iating a ChannelEQ) and Send + Vpot7 (for assigning sends etc).

The S3 works really well with Logic and although there seem to be a couple of refresh issues when it comes to plugin assignments, it's really great! Super quick with the plugin menus etc.

Just take s a bit of getting used to.
I also run the ProTools control app and the Logic control app on two separate iPads. Great combo and if I really want the transport section, I have the DAW Remote HD app, which for what it's worth, seems to be the only iPad app that actually has the complete feature set of the MCU's.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 08-22-2016, 06:04 AM

I have since bought an AVID Transport and for the most part it works quite well.... there a re a few things I'd like to be able to do (and I'm sure you probably can somehow), but I have not worked out the workarounds as yet. For example, holding Cycle and scrolling with an MCU can define a new cycle zone. Mmmmm
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01