Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-19-2006, 11:36 AM

Default 7.2 Volume Trim

i've had 7.2 for 2 days now, and i knew it would be good from all the valuable input from everyone else using it, but there are so many hidden gems... that volume trim feature is genius, worked splendid on a mix i just did. "hmmmm...all that volume automation i did works, but i just need to ramp it up here and down just a little there, but wait i want to keep all my drawn-in curves relative...whoa wait, what's this handy little thing??"

Pro Tools HD on PC
Pro Tools LE on Mac G5 and MacBook Pro
Old 09-19-2006, 02:42 PM

Default Re: 7.2 Volume Trim

Quote:

I've had 7.2 for 2 days now, and i knew it would be good from all the valuable input from everyone else using it, but there are so many hidden gems... that volume trim feature is genius, worked splendid on a mix i just did. "hmmmm...all that volume automation i did works, but i just need to ramp it up here and down just a little there, but wait i want to keep all my drawn-in curves relative...whoa wait, what's this handy little thing??"
Volume trim has been around since at lease version 6.4. it was a little different thou. it's definitely way better now! It's crazy how I can have visual feed back to my audio mixed. It's like being able to view what my hands are doing and the waveform at the same time!
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 09-19-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I've had 7.2 for 2 days now, and i knew it would be good from all the valuable input from everyone else using it, but there are so many hidden gems... that volume trim feature is genius, worked splendid on a mix i just did. "hmmmm...all that volume automation i did works, but i just need to ramp it up here and down just a little there, but wait i want to keep all my drawn-in curves relative...whoa wait, what's this handy little thing??"
Volume trim has been around since at lease version 6.4. it was a little different thou. it's definitely way better now! It's crazy how I can have visual feed back to my audio mixed. It's like being able to view what my hands are doing and the waveform at the same time!
Peace,
Brandon
i never noticed volume trim under the waveform/volume/mute/etc dropdown on the edit window before, at least on xp til now. it is most excellent being able to see the visual feedback as you mix, plus what looks to be your original automation, then the volume trim version ghosted under it. man it was well worth the upgrade even for the little things like this. i haven't told the pic editors that i can edit video yet... i'm waiting until absolutely necessary

Pro Tools HD on PC
Old 09-19-2006, 09:34 PM

Trim has been in the automation pulldown atleast since version 6.4.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 09-20-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
are you talking about the trim plugin? otherwise, i must have been blind as a bat... i have never noticed it there in the edit window dropdowns at least on xp up until 7.2 - now i see it everywhere on 7.2, it is clearly on every single track without a trim plug taking up plugin space. i almost want to reinstall 7.1 to see if i really am crazy

Pro Tools HD on PC
Old 09-20-2006, 09:33 AM

Trim has been an available automation feature for a while . . . what's new in 7.2is the visual feedback - now you see the original automation, the trim, the VCA and the result of all combined.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
are you talking about the trim plugin? otherwise, i must have been blind as a bat... i have never noticed it there in the edit window dropdowns at least on xp up until 7.2 - now i see it everywhere on 7.2, it is clearly on every single track without a trim plug taking up plugin space. i almost want to reinstall 7.1 to see if i really am crazy
It would seem that some people are confusing the "trim" mode in the automation pull-down, with the new feature of trim in the default rubber band automation. The new trim rubber band stuff is new to 7.2.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:21 AM

I can't wait untill they fianlly implement cliplevel automation that's pre insert, that also changes the wave overview dsiplay as
you change the gain of the clip.
This makes smoothng out dialogue incredibly easy and efficient.
And, you don'y have to worry about plug-ins distrotion by input overload.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 09-20-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I can't wait untill they fianlly implement cliplevel automation that's pre insert, that also changes the wave overview dsiplay as
you change the gain of the clip.
This makes smoothng out dialogue incredibly easy and efficient.
And, you don'y have to worry about plug-ins distrotion by input overload.
I would love this too. Add a pitch envelope that's similar and I'd be stoked!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It would seem that some people are confusing the "trim" mode in the automation pull-down, with the new feature of trim in the default rubber band automation. The new trim rubber band stuff is new to 7.2.
plus i must be wording it wrong. i had to drop 7.1 back on to see for myself. what i meant was THIS HERE is how it used to be, and THIS HERE is how it is now in 7.2 - so THAT is what i was excited about... i guess i shoulda clarified with "track view in the edit window" or someting to that effect. i knew about trim in the automation drop down, but now having it right next to volume in the track views is what got me excited, having the visual display, etc etc etc....

Pro Tools HD on PC