Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-16-2016, 02:15 AM
thanos4 thanos4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 452
Default Plugins and Support Plan....is it worth it???

Hi guys..
my upgrade plan is going to expire next month and i am thinking of renewing plugins and support plan as well....BUT....is it worth 99$????
I mean it's just a few stomp boxes (which i have from other brands like Native instuments Guitar rig 5 and IK multimedia Amplitube 4) and i must say a good verb ....which i think i used 3-4 times...
As for support plan i never needed any help from AVID since 2008...if i had any problem i look here in this place with help all of you guys....
Soooooo 99$ for stomp boxes,one verb and support.....
However,all other DAWs have at least stomp boxes for free...
What do you think guys??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-16-2016, 03:32 AM
weezul weezul is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 369
Default Re: Plugins and Support Plan....is it worth it???

If you're having to ask other people if it's worth it.... i think you've answered your own question
__________________
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2016, 03:37 AM
thanos4 thanos4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 452
Default Re: Plugins and Support Plan....is it worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
If you're having to ask other people if it's worth it.... i think you've answered your own question
hahahaaha +1
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-16-2016, 05:00 AM
remute remute is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 308
Default Re: Plugins and Support Plan....is it worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos4 View Post
Hi guys..
my upgrade plan is going to expire next month and i am thinking of renewing plugins and support plan as well....BUT....is it worth 99$????
I mean it's just a few stomp boxes (which i have from other brands like Native instuments Guitar rig 5 and IK multimedia Amplitube 4) and i must say a good verb ....which i think i used 3-4 times...
As for support plan i never needed any help from AVID since 2008...if i had any problem i look here in this place with help all of you guys....
Soooooo 99$ for stomp boxes,one verb and support.....
However,all other DAWs have at least stomp boxes for free...
What do you think guys??
I got the stomp boxes, don't use them; too many plug-ins can lead to too much choice IMO and if you already got some...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-16-2016, 05:14 AM
amagras amagras is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,209
Default Re: Plugins and Support Plan....is it worth it???

I have 2 pedalboards, never used the plugins
__________________
Dell XPS 8700. Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz. RAM: 16GB. Windows 10 Home x64. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645. NI Komplete Audio 6. Pro Tools Software 2019
amagrasmusic.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-16-2016, 07:24 AM
sw rec sw rec is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Colo Spgs Colo
Posts: 5,592
Default Re: Plugins and Support Plan....is it worth it???

$399 if you're on HD, and in 20 years of ProTools, I've NEVER needed support from them. Ever. And since I don't like to "rent" things like software (as in the "free as long as you have a support plan" plugins) this is a no-brainer thing for me. Kinda sucky that we don't get the "point" updates without a support plan, though. That's taking it a little too far IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2016, 07:40 AM
Obsidian Dragon Obsidian Dragon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,797
Default Re: Plugins and Support Plan....is it worth it???

For beginners, it is a simple way to get some basic (stomp box) type plugins if they don't have much other plugins. I have them and other than playing with them for a few minutes at first, I never use them. I don't mind having too many choices for plugins, but the problem is this, every time I boot my Mac, it sits there for several minutes for the Application Manager to check for new or updates of these plugins. It literally waste my time every tine I boot up. It is so annoying that I avoid rebooting as much as possible. In my opinion, there are much betters way to use your $99 (get some better cables, tune the piano, get a groovy lava light, etc.). These might make your recordings and mixes better.
__________________
Obsidian Dragon
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.13.6 running Protools 2018.7.0
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-16-2016, 07:47 AM
Drew Mazurek's Avatar
Drew Mazurek Drew Mazurek is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 11,524
Default Re: Plugins and Support Plan....is it worth it???

App manager is "optional". I don't use it at all.
__________________
www.drewmazurek.com

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-16-2016, 09:31 AM
thanos4 thanos4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 452
Default Re: Plugins and Support Plan....is it worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
For beginners, it is a simple way to get some basic (stomp box) type plugins if they don't have much other plugins. I have them and other than playing with them for a few minutes at first, I never use them. I don't mind having too many choices for plugins, but the problem is this, every time I boot my Mac, it sits there for several minutes for the Application Manager to check for new or updates of these plugins. It literally waste my time every tine I boot up. It is so annoying that I avoid rebooting as much as possible. In my opinion, there are much betters way to use your $99 (get some better cables, tune the piano, get a groovy lava light, etc.). These might make your recordings and mixes better.
or maybe an HDD for backup
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Obsidian Dragon Obsidian Dragon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,797
Default Re: Plugins and Support Plan....is it worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
App manager is "optional". I don't use it at all.
I did not have the "option" to not install it. I don't see a setting to turn this "option" off. I read in the sticky thread above that there is a "hack" to edit a plist file on the mac to not run Application Manager at startup but that hardly sounds like this is "optional." I admit I did not read the whole thread completely so perhaps I'm missing something later.
__________________
Obsidian Dragon
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.13.6 running Protools 2018.7.0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Avid Support Plan - Support costs Extra mixinthecity General Discussion 6 01-27-2016 01:47 PM
HD Annual Support Plan Should Include Support for ProControl and Control 24 Barry Johns ProControl, Control|24, Command|8 16 10-03-2015 03:41 AM
Extra plugins with 199 support plan? atkeyboards Pro Tools 12 0 09-24-2015 02:28 AM
I have not received any support under the new PT + standard support plan KnightTime Pro Tools 11 40 09-13-2015 10:41 AM
Support Plan - $599 with pt 10 karljohnson Pro Tools 10 25 11-16-2011 12:03 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com