Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-12-2005, 05:02 PM

Default LCD monitors creating guitar amp buzz

Hi All,

Recently I've begun cutting my guitar tracks from inside the control room, sending my guitars' signal out to a remotely mic'ed amp in the iso booth. My problem is that I have 2 19" LCDs over the console that send a mean buzz into my guitar signal. Moving around to certain spots can help me find the area of least interference, but I still can't achieve what I would call a "workable level". The LCDs are Apple Studio displays, but I can't figure out how to turn them off before cutting a track.

I'm sure this has to be a relatively common problem in the digital age--anyone know of any solutions?

Gracias,

Josh
Old 09-12-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: LCD monitors creating guitar amp buzz

I don't have that type of display myself, and am not familiar with it. Is the power supply integrated into the display, or is it a separate, line lump or wall wart type of thing? One of the more common sources of trouble with solid state stuff is a noisy transformer in the power supply (loose winding, etc.). Do you have more than one of these monitors, and do they all create noise? You might want to experiment with as short of a power cord as possible, and plugging the unit into a high quality EMI/RFI filter (IsoBar, etc.) to squelch as much radiation as possible. Putting snap-on torroids on all cables leading out of the monitor might also help. If the monitor has a line lump power supply, locate it as far from your playing area as possible. Perhaps even try enclosing it in a grounded metal box.

Lee Blaske
Old 09-12-2005, 09:02 PM

I had this happen once and lifting the ground on the monitor AC helped. I use Viewsonic VG191b monitors and do not have this problem unless the guitar is literally inches from the monitor. I'd try a different monitor and see if the problem abates.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:28 AM

Are you sure you don't have cables running near the monitor? Usually, the interference is limited to very short distances from LCDs, around a foot, so if you're several feet away I would not expect much if any interference.