Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 07-05-2004, 01:09 PM

Default which one is better mackie control universal or co

does anyone know which one is better than the other
Old 07-05-2004, 03:17 PM

Default Re: which one is better mackie control universal or co

That depends on who you work for I think.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 07-05-2004, 04:48 PM

Default Re: which one is better mackie control universal o

I don't work for Digidesign or Mackie.

I prefer the Command|8 because...

A) It isn't made by Mackie (we have several HUIs, and they are NFG POS's...can't wait for v6.4.1 so I can change this, knock-on-wood that the one MCU we have hasn't failed yet).
B) It has the infamous "flip" function, allowing you to move your plug-in parameters to the faders for automation.
C) It uses a USB connection, so I don't have to acquire a USB MIDI interface (with iLoks, serial adapters, etc. ports are at a premium).

The only things I wish were on the Command|8 (or to rephrase it, the only things that could possibly make a Mackie preferrable)...

A) "Real" fader caps, as in traditional look and feel. The fader caps on the Command|8 look like a crater for my finger.
B) A jog/shuttle wheel. It comes in handy when you are working to tape with MachineControl.

That's my opinion. Others will vary.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:36 PM

C) It uses a USB connection, so I don't have to acquire a USB MIDI interface (with iLoks, serial adapters, etc. ports are at a premium).

The Command 8 eats up one USB port, and a MIDI interface would also eat up just one USB port, so there is no difference there.

A) "Real" fader caps, as in traditional look and feel. The fader caps on the Command|8 look like a crater for my finger.

Plus, if you try to move a fader with just one finger, most likely, it will slip off. Forget the looks, the Command 8 faders just aren't practical.

B) A jog/shuttle wheel.

Glaring mistake. Same with the non-expandable nature of the Command 8.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:43 PM

Quote:
You got me on the second part of that - I lose a USB port either way.

However, I'd rather have a MIDI interface built in (like the Command|8) than have to buy a MIDI interface to use a controller (like the MCU).
Old 07-11-2004, 11:39 AM

Is it true that you can replace the Command 8's fader caps with the more traditional "P&G" type fader caps? Have anyone tried that yet?
Old 07-11-2004, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Is it true that you can replace the Command 8's fader caps with the more traditional "P&G" type fader caps? Have anyone tried that yet?
Yes and yes. Just because you can do that though doesn't mean that Digidesign shouldn't fix their design flaw and replace the fader caps with something (IMO) better.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:19 AM

Where did you get those "P&G" fader cap? Any online stores carry them?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:50 PM

I took them off of a MCU to see if they would work! I happen to have a MCU in one of our rooms (which is why I'm so adamant about digi doing this).

Digi has hardware exchange programs, why not fader cap exchange programs?

If you know of a shop that repairs Mackie's, I'll bet you can order those fader caps through them.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: which one is better mackie control universal or co

DIGI states that HUI and MCU and all other non-Digidesign MIDI controllers were not tested and are officially not supported in PT 6.4, but they still iclude HUI personality file with their releases. Has anyone tried MCU with PT LE 6.4 XP? What about +12dB fader gain?