Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-24-2018, 07:10 PM

Default What am I doing incorrectly? (no sound from PT)

I just did a reinstall of PT 12.5.2 onAN Imac 27 in with OS 10.13.3.

And for the life of me, I can't get it to play any sound when I hit play on pro tools floating window. ?

Literall no sound is coming out..

I can play sound from regular youtube videos etc but not from pro tools program.

I am not using any external cards etc etc.. Just the standard stuff that the iMac comes with.

Please help.. this is incredibly frustrating ..
12GB Ram
Old 02-24-2018, 07:20 PM

Default Re: What am I doing incorrectly?

Firstly, that’s an unsupported configuration.

Secondly, when you say no sound, is the play head moving in Pro Tools? If so, check to see what soundcard its defaulting too. I know you say on board audio, but if you have an HDMI/DisplayPort monitor connected, it can also be used as a Pro Tools output, so it may have selected that. Mine has in the past.

If it’s the correct soundcard, check the I/O settings and perhaps set them to default and then make sure your track outputs are configured correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post

Secondly, when you say no sound, is the play head moving in Pro Tools? If so, check to see what soundcard its defaulting too. I know you say on board audio, but if you have an HDMI/DisplayPort monitor connected, it can also be used as a Pro Tools output, so it may have selected that. Mine has in the past.

If it’s the correct soundcard, check the I/O settings and perhaps set them to default and then make sure your track outputs are configured correctly.

Thanks for that.. I didnt realize they werent compatible.

So according to this:

"Intel® Mac with Mac OS X 10.8.5 (only supported below Pro Tools 12.5), 10.9.5 (only supported below Pro Tools 12.8), 10.10.5 (only supported below Pro Tools 12.8.2), 10.11.6, 10.12.6 (only supported with Pro Tools 12.8 and above) or 10.13.2 (Pro Tools 12.8.3 and above)."

My version of PT will only work as intended with Mavericks 10.9.5.

Fair enough I will see about downgrading OS to match that.

As far as the play head.. when I press play it plays fine.. ie it goes across the track but no output and I am just using the basic template for house.

I am trying to learn PT .. I started a few years ago but want to re-immerse into it again..

Thanks for the response.
12GB Ram
Old 02-24-2018, 09:51 PM

Rather than downgrade your OS four generations, how bout updating PT instead to the latest version. It may require getting onto a plan, but at least you’re current.

Definitely check your output config though as it could be something as simple as that.

Also, unsupported doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t work, but it’s best to stay within the specs with Pro Tools. It Anne a very finicky app.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:

So I redid the whole system to OS 10.10.5 Yosemite and Pt 12.5.2.

I can play youtube audio/video, works fine, but when I click play on the PT transport window.. the play head moves forward

but I hear no audio...

This has to be something silly and simple..

The program is running on the iMac by itself .. no additional cards or hardware (just the USB lock of course)

IS there something that I can click on the program to see if its even responding.. a tick or something?

Is there any test I can do to see what it could be? Where could I check if it's defaulting to the soundcard? and to what soundcard?

Talk about a learning curve.

Any further suggestions as to how I can narrow this down?
12GB Ram

Last edited by luism; 02-25-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:03 AM

I did mention above to go into the I/O setup. It seems you haven’t done so.

Click on SETUP then PLAYBACK ENGINE. Where it says PLAYBACK ENGINE, set it to BUILT-IN OUTPUT.

Then on your channel that you’re trying to play, make sure the track output is assigned to BUILT-IN OUTPUT 1-2 or something like that.

Also, you might wanna start flicking through the manual. This is a new DAW to you, but this sort of stuff is the basics of any application. You’ll want to get a grip on all this before you delve much further or you’ll be in a world of hurt navigating blindly.

Also, AVID have some videos on YouTube that will help. Pro-Tools-Expert also have a fair few videos for beginners to get up and running too.

Hopefully that gets you going.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:57 AM

While starting PT hold down the 'n' key on your computer keyboard and you'll be prompted to select your audio interface. You should be able to pick your iMac's built-in sound which really isn't all that spectacular given the super small speakers inside.

I know you're just learning the program and you'll get a good idea as to how things work but when you do decide to go PT all the way I suggest getting a regular interface and monitor speakers. You needn't spend big bucks to do so - a small MOTU interface and JBL LSR305 speakers will do you well and not cost much.

QAPLA!
Old 02-25-2018, 05:05 AM

Default What am I doing incorrectly?

You can still hook up a pair of speakers from the iMac line out or use headphones. You’re not restricted to the iMac speakers.

But yes, eventually you’ll want a decent interface especially if you’re going to start recording signals.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
You can still hook up a pair of speakers from the iMac line out or use headphones. You’re not restricted to the iMac speakers.

But yes, eventually you’ll want a decent interface especially if you’re going to start recording signals.

Is the iMac headphone output still a combo of optical and analog or is it just analog now?

QAPLA!
Old 02-25-2018, 05:22 AM

I believe it’s just analog now.