Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2019, 04:32 PM

Default Maximum number of tracks already exist for the current ProTools configuration

"Maximum number of tracks already exist for the current ProTools configuration"
Has anyone gotten this error before? I've never seen it and Avid support doesn't know anything about it either. I have plenty of voices left on the HDX2 system. It's a heavy mix, lots of tracks, lots of plugins, wide bussing, Atmos mix. There are lots of inactive tracks also but I've never heard of ProTools having a track limit on an HDX system even if those tracks are inactive. Like I said, plenty of voices left. Any ideas?
Old 09-20-2019, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Maximum number of tracks already exist for the current ProTools configuration

Have you looked at your HDX card usage? Since a mixer plugin has to run for every so many tracks, you can run into a situation where there is no more room for AAX-DSP mixer plugins on the cards.

(at that point, I'd start flipping AAX-DSP plugins to native because you have no option on HDX for the mixer to run on anything but the cards. It will be the bottleneck.)
Old 09-20-2019, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Maximum number of tracks already exist for the current ProTools configuration

Thanks I’ll look at that on Monday. I looked earlier and it seemed like there was still a bit of room but not tons on the dsp usage. If I delete some inactive tracks I can add new tracks but I’d prefer to not do that if I don’t have to. It seems strange that if there is a maximum track count in the session (even inactive) avid tech support isn’t aware of it.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:55 PM

Just did a quick test. Seems like 1024 is the max number of audio tracks. This is not on HDX, but on a native system with 3 x Voice Packs, so 768 of the 1024 mono audio tracks voiced. I am pretty sure it is the same on an HDX system. I would imagine they would have to upgrade this if the ever get the HDX voice count increase working, as an HDX with the upgraded voice count will be 3 x 384, totaling 1152 voices.

I'm not near my HDX3 system at the moment to test. I can try to do so when Im back in the studio on Friday.

Last edited by originalscottyg; 09-23-2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: addtl info
Old 09-23-2019, 01:39 PM

They (Avid) have already confirmed the limit will be 1024 voice. Even for the soon to be possible HDX6 setups.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...to-1024-voices
Old 09-23-2019, 02:44 PM

My understanding of the article is that this will be the limit if the voice count on the HDX cards stays at 256 each. Later in the article, they are still talking about 1152 voices for HDX3:

Later in the interview, Mike asked Francois about Avid taking a little bit longer to hopefully bottom out the issues to enable HDX systems to be able to offer 384 voices with an HDX1 card through to 1152 voices for an HDX3?

“I think hopefully is the term. That is absolutely the course of action we're taking. So, we've already started work on figuring out what the issue is and eliminating those 15% streaming errors and our goal is to provide 384 voices per HDX card and giving you all the way up to 1152 [voices on an HDX3 system]. Now there is still a slight sliver of uncertainty from our engineering department. I am pretty confident it feels to me like we are going to achieve this, but my engineering director is basically saying don't say it's going to happen because I want to leave no stone unturned. So, over the course of the next couple of months I think we'll have better visibility on what will happen but that's definitely our objective.”