Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2015, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Ptc dropouts!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Valid points! But Dock or no dock, communication still needs to be 100% reliable. I wonder how much they spent getting it to work before each day of AES???

Exactly, I mean, it's not like there's only one of us having this problem...so how the heck did they get it to work?!!! I was also told by Kyle, that every PTC release will have a new Eucon release. So I was really surprised by the Eucon release without an update to PTC app.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 11-24-2015, 09:40 AM

you are not alone .. i think most of us have given up on it .. it ruins EuCon .. crash crash crash ..

where is Kyle ?? hopefully he will chime in an have some news and help for us .. but this is a Free App right now .. when it is a paid App i will be much more pissed off then now ..

it just shows one more thing that Avid is having trouble with .. there are too many people troubleshooting their systems instead of creating something ..

Com'On Man !!!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 11-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Avid

Hey Guys,

This could be a combination of wi-fi signal interference or perhaps a config thing, so I'd like to suggest a few things and get some more details on your setups.

First, let's start fresh:
  1. Ensure your iPad and Mac are connected to the same Wi-Fi network
  2. Ensure you've installed latest version of Pro Tools | Control from App Store and it's launched.
  3. Disconnect any EUCON surfaces.
  4. Go to Applications/Euphonix and run the uninstaller. Ensure that all components have been removed in the Euphonix folder
  5. Check the Applications folder to make sure MC Client has been removed
  6. From Finder, click on Go, choose "Go to folder" and type "/usr/local/lib". If you see any EuCon files in there, delete them.
  7. Reboot your Mac
  8. Install EuControl 3.3.2 (download available from account.avid.com)
  9. EuControl will auto-launch
  10. Go to System Preferences>EUCON and choose Wi-Fi from Network Interface drop down.
  11. Click the EuControl 'E" menu bar icon and choose "Restart EUCON Applications"

Did the Pro Tools | Control show up and attach? If not, quit Pro Tools | Control on your iPad and relaunch it. Did it connect now?

If it's connecting, then I'd suggest you test for a little while to see if there are any improvements.

Now some questions about your setup:
  • What routers are you guys using?
  • How are they connected?
  • Any other switches involved? If so, what is connected to them?
  • Are you using 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz bands with your Wi-Fi router? We strongly recommend 5Ghz as 2.4Ghz is much more susceptible to RF interference, which could be playing a role in the dropouts.
  • If you are noticing that PTC works close to the router, but not farther away then there is some signal strength issue going on here. For those seeing that, is the iPad Wi-Fi icon always showing full strength? Or does that fluctuate?

Many users are not experiencing these issues, so we need to dig a bit to found out why this is the case for you guys.

Thanks,
Berkeley, CA
Old 11-27-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hey Guys,

This could be a combination of wi-fi signal interference or perhaps a config thing, so I'd like to suggest a few things and get some more details on your setups.

First, let's start fresh:
  1. Ensure your iPad and Mac are connected to the same Wi-Fi network
  2. Ensure you've installed latest version of Pro Tools | Control from App Store and it's launched.
  3. Disconnect any EUCON surfaces.
  4. Go to Applications/Euphonix and run the uninstaller. Ensure that all components have been removed in the Euphonix folder
  5. Check the Applications folder to make sure MC Client has been removed
  6. From Finder, click on Go, choose "Go to folder" and type "/usr/local/lib". If you see any EuCon files in there, delete them.
  7. Reboot your Mac
  8. Install EuControl 3.3.2 (download available from account.avid.com)
  9. EuControl will auto-launch
  10. Go to System Preferences>EUCON and choose Wi-Fi from Network Interface drop down.
  11. Click the EuControl 'E" menu bar icon and choose "Restart EUCON Applications"

Did the Pro Tools | Control show up and attach? If not, quit Pro Tools | Control on your iPad and relaunch it. Did it connect now?

If it's connecting, then I'd suggest you test for a little while to see if there are any improvements.

Now some questions about your setup:
  • What routers are you guys using?
  • How are they connected?
  • Any other switches involved? If so, what is connected to them?
  • Are you using 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz bands with your Wi-Fi router? We strongly recommend 5Ghz as 2.4Ghz is much more susceptible to RF interference, which could be playing a role in the dropouts.
  • If you are noticing that PTC works close to the router, but not farther away then there is some signal strength issue going on here. For those seeing that, is the iPad Wi-Fi icon always showing full strength? Or does that fluctuate?

Many users are not experiencing these issues, so we need to dig a bit to found out why this is the case for you guys.

Thanks,
So far...fingers crossed...I have to say thanks again Kyle. I knew you'd come through. That seems to have solved my issues for the time being, still early in the test phase. Funny part is I'm not done my 30day test on 12.3 and now 12.3.1 came out!!!! I noticed Eucon crash fixes, but I haven't experienced any of those, so I may just keep trucking with 12.3 for a bit.

EDIT*

Spoke too soon, disconnected after 30mins and no reconnect. Spinning 'E' of death! Restart PT's and try again...waiting...trying to repeat.

I'll post back after the weekend as I hope to finally convince my wife to track some vocals now that she's over her cold! :P

Have a great weekend!
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors

Last edited by dr_daw; 11-27-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:59 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
So far...fingers crossed...I have to say thanks again Kyle. I knew you'd come through. That seems to have solved my issues for the time being, still early in the test phase. Funny part is I'm not done my 30day test on 12.3 and now 12.3.1 came out!!!! I noticed Eucon crash fixes, but I haven't experienced any of those, so I may just keep trucking with 12.3 for a bit.

EDIT*

Spoke too soon, disconnected after 30mins and no reconnect. Spinning 'E' of death! Restart PT's and try again...waiting...trying to repeat.

I'll post back after the weekend as I hope to finally convince my wife to track some vocals now that she's over her cold! :P

Have a great weekend!
Ok, sounds like we are making some progress. Do you have Bluetooth enabled on your iPad by chance? If so, will you try disabling Bluetooth to see if it has any effect?

Also, if you can provide setup info as listed above that'd be helpful.

Thanks!
Berkeley, CA
Old 12-01-2015, 05:36 PM

Default Ptc dropouts!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Ok, sounds like we are making some progress. Do you have Bluetooth enabled on your iPad by chance? If so, will you try disabling Bluetooth to see if it has any effect?

Also, if you can provide setup info as listed above that'd be helpful.

Thanks!

I do have Bluetooth enabled as I have a keyboard connected. I'll try it with that disabled and see if that changes anything.

One things I noted, Kyle, is that PTC seems to really like activity. It doesn't like to sit idle for too long. In the system prefs, under Eucon, I changed the 'timeout' to 300. I believe that is likely just for connecting, but it seems that since I've done that. PTC is running much more consistently.

It only disconnected once and immediately reconnected during my 1 hour personal recording session. As for the other info:

It's an Actiontel Modem/router @ 5Ghz, I'm within a 10' radius at all times. No switches.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Avid

Quote:
I do have Bluetooth enabled as I have a keyboard connected. I'll try it with that disabled and see if that changes anything.

One things I noted, Kyle, is that PTC seems to really like activity. It doesn't like to sit idle for too long. In the system prefs, under Eucon, I changed the 'timeout' to 300. I believe that is likely just for connecting, but it seems that since I've done that. PTC is running much more consistently.

It only disconnected once and immediately reconnected during my 1 hour personal recording session. As for the other info:

It's an Actiontel Modem/router @ 5Ghz, I'm within a 10' radius at all times. No switches.
That is great about the improved performance, and is interesting about the timeout thing. We can look at that, but I don't think that value should have any effect on dropouts.

What is the exact model number of the Actiontel router? Thanks,
Berkeley, CA
Old 12-03-2015, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Ptc & pt 12.3

Going to run identical tests on a new install tonight to ensure it's not just a fluke. The model # is T1200H for the Alcatel modem.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:32 PM

So Kyle, is there a step-by-step for Windows users? I have had to uninstall Eucon here as it would crash on every bootup. I have an N wifi router sitting 3 feet from my chair, and WHEN it works, it works all over the studio. The issue is that it rarely works, either due to a crash of Eucon, or to not connecting at all. To get connected, I can do a dance of trying any and/or all of the following:
Restart Eucon
Turn Eucon off in PT, then re-enable
Task Manager>Eucon>end Process>restart Eucon
Close the app on the iPad and then re-start the app

Using latest version from my account(downloaded 3 times). I get the same (poor) results whether I run PT12.3 on Windows 10, 12.3 on Windows 7 or 11.3.2 on Windows 7

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-05-2015, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Ptc & pt 12.3

Quote:
Going to run identical tests on a new install tonight to ensure it's not just a fluke. The model # is T1200H for the Alcatel modem.

Working well on my new install on the rig in my signature. One thing that drastically improved operation today was disabling Bluetooth on my iPad. No connection drops in an solid hour long session.