Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Windows version vs Mac version

sorry if this has been covered allot before - i'm considering running pro tools on say a dual xenon 3.2gig pc in lieu of a dual 2gig g5? is there any sacrifice in functionality - are there any "gotcha's"?

tks,
c
Old 01-23-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Windows version vs Mac version

Don't know about the dual Xenon, but I'm having negligable problems with my Asus P4C800-E and HD2 Accel.

With OSX, I think the reliability issue moved in the PCs favor. I used to run a Mix Plus in OS9 and it was solid as a rock, but I've seen lot's of problems in OSX. If you go PC, the issue is that you still have to do your homework as far as choosing components to achieve that reliability. Steve Jobs does that stuff for you with a Mac.

I also think that OSX is way too complicated. It used to be the other way around. Trouble shooting OSX can be extremely complicated and frustrating. Windows XP isn't as friendly as OS9 was, but it's easier and more intuitive than OSX. Windows XP is a more mature platform right now.

The downside is that ProTools TDM for Windows isn't supported like the Mac. Some plugins aren't available for the Win side, and we're still waiting for some that are promised. For example, I use Amplitube a lot and there's an HTDM version for the Mac but not for the PC. Also the Princeton Reverb is Mac only with no plans for PC. Most of the bread and butter stuff, like Waves, is available though.

Following Digi's guidlines or advice from people here, I think you can pretty confidently jump in on the PC side with few worries. If you interact with other studios, be prepared for some skeptism when you tell them your running Win XP. Kind of like the early days of the Mac

http://www.badrap.org
Old 01-23-2005, 01:59 PM

MDog wrote:

"Windows XP is a more mature platform right now".

To be honest with ya, I can't really recall the last time I had a crash -or any other malfunctioning behaviour on Windows XP.

The other points that MDog made ring true. Do your homework and you'll be fine.

I think those processors are fine (I think those are the processors that are in the qualified HP's and Dell's), but I'd double check the compato doc's.

Len
Old 01-23-2005, 03:18 PM

WinXP can be more stable especially with Apple throwing systems updates and each one is like a service pack = could lead to major compatibility issues...

The Mac feels & looks better but when you'll need RTAS, HTDM power the PCs cheaper so you can get more RAM, HDs and still enjoy fast machine even in comparsion to 2.5Ghz G5...

The differences I miss:

1. CDs... you cannot playback/import CDs from PT under PC.
2. MIDI Studio - On the PC side it's still less mature than on the mac side.
3. Quicktime.. wonder who made this format... (mmm...) well on PC you cannot send DV out so there are all sort of workarounds to view Video on screen.
The offical ones (Mojo,AVOption) aren't "cheap" solutions.
4. Shortcuts, a lil'bit different than the mac, takes few minutes each change to remember the platform.
5. Dual-Screen,
On PC it requires some work and while it has been improved compared to the mac it's far than being great.
Mac dual works very well..

Goodies for the PC...
1. The Scroolwheel click! still not available on the mac, great productive feature.
2. Session Interchange better...
With MacOpener for example you can run a session from the Mac HD just to listen to it...
Also opening Mac session since 6.7 is easy.

On the mac using PC HDs or opening (not importiing) PC session isn't that easy.

Formats:
Mac Exclusive - SDII (PC only reads it)
PC Exclusive - Windows Media
Old 01-23-2005, 09:35 PM

Well, I just bought my first PT system. I've worked on a Mac with mix systems probably since they were made. I've used up to a 1.25 single mmd Mac and a G5 2.0 dual with PT and have more power with the PC I built. PT on a PC just feels great. It's very responsive and robust. The Pc I built to run PT only cost about a grand and I bought a really nice case -> http://www.lian-li.com/product.php?a...wPD&prdid=1192 . Anyway I use a program called keytweak to switch the control, alt, and windows keys to the config of a Mac. Now almost all the key commands are the same. I had a couple of problems but have worked through them and after about a week of configuring and tweaking the computer, I have a good, stable system that I can really rely on. Does anyone think PT on a Pc is unstable? What about PT on an OSX Mac? Anyway, I give it a good review.
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme