Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Re: MIDI Studio Setup

accession - are you referring to the MOTU supplied file for the ZR, or a ProTools compatible version? (There are no 'default' midnams on the Mac)

The only reason I ask is that the most recent MOTU supplied midnam for the ZR is 'categorized'. (This means that the patches are not laid out in their original banks, but are grouped into categories like 'Bass', 'Orchestra', etc).

But unfortunately, ProTools cannot deal with category banks - so it would have to be 'reversed' in order to work on PT.

If that's the case, let me know - I think I can help.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:32 PM

well if you two can get teh banks right and send it to me....................major kudos would heading ur way....lol......i can get u a list of all the different sounds and instruments on the ZR-76 and u might b able to use that as a reference

if ignorance is bliss, then why isn't everyone happy
Old 06-09-2006, 05:33 AM

I put a midnam and middev file for the ZR up at: www.alterspective.com/ZR.zip - I'll leave it there for a few days. Since I only have a Mac, and don't have PT, I can't test it out for you, but it looks OK. Make sure you put the files in the right place!
Old 06-09-2006, 07:47 AM

Quote:
accession - are you referring to the MOTU supplied file for the ZR, or a ProTools compatible version? (There are no 'default' midnams on the Mac)
Good question.

I found it here: HD:Library/Audio/MIDI Patch Names/Digidesign.

I assumed the Pro Tools installation popped it there?

Quote:
The only reason I ask is that the most recent MOTU supplied midnam for the ZR is 'categorized'. (This means that the patches are not laid out in their original banks, but are grouped into categories like 'Bass', 'Orchestra', etc).
Yeah, saw that too. Good point re not working with catagories. Though looking at the file, the bank "PianoA", for example, appears to have a "normal looking" collection of patches inside it. No mixing or matching of bank selects within the banks that I can see. Just not in numerical order? Maybe there's something else there I'm not getting?

I had another thought (more around potential uses for me), the Modes could be used to work with extra patch banks I have as MIDI files and 3.5"disks. I can toggle the relevent Mode to match the bank I've loaded.

And that for your efforts with Cherry Picker. Having "mastered" OMS Patch Names bank in the day, it was such a pleasure to stumble across your app (which is even nicer!).

Cheers.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:49 PM

Probably a different list from the one I found in the MOTU folder, since I found the 'Piano A' bank included patches from the expansion ROMs, which have different bank selects. The file I posted above includes all the expansion stuff, but there are no mixed banks - all patches were moved into new banks with unique selects.

Quote:
>>> "I had another thought (more around potential uses for me), the Modes could be used to work with extra patch banks I have as MIDI files and 3.5"disks. I can toggle the relevent Mode to match the bank I've loaded"<<<

Be careful with modes in PT! I was told by Digi that PT ignores modes completely - if there's more than one, it will ignore the rest, and put all the channel sets into the first mode it comes across. (This was a year ago, so things might be different now...)

And thanks for the nice words about CP
Old 06-09-2006, 05:43 PM

YYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

IT WORKS

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!

yup

i did hv to go into the files however and change the instrument from ZR to ZR-76 and vuola(or however it is spelled)

and then when i opened up a track just had to load the patch file..........GOOD STUFF PPL!

lol

now another question i hv is this......my alesis quadraverb (yes the original) is listed in the devices that pt has in the set up menu.......however there is no midnam for it????

so what do i do???

Old 06-12-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Be careful with modes in PT! I was told by Digi that PT ignores modes completely - if there's more than one, it will ignore the rest, and put all the channel sets into the first mode it comes across. (This was a year ago, so things might be different now...)
Yeah, I think you're right with this. Looking back at it now, I may have been mistaking "Channel Sets" for "Modes", and in which case, it's not the thing I'm after.

I want to be able to toggle different lists of patches that will be located in the same bank. So if I dump a bank of new patches into my synth, I don't need to go back and re-edit a midnam (or replace the file with one I'd prepared earlier).

re Modes? Was this term used by OMS to describe the Channel Sets used by midnam files? Just wondering if my terminology was confused after working with OMS for serveral years.

Actually, looks as if it does:

From the OMS Names PDF
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cachehCCDPmOBi4J:akwww.digidesign.com/support/docs/OMS_NameMgr.pdf+OMS+mode+bank&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&c lient=safari

Usually devices access the different modes by interpreting patch
change messages differently for different channels. For instance,
General MIDI devices have “patch” channels and “drum” channels.
Sending program change #1 to a channel in “patch mode” calls up a
piano, whereas sending program change #1 to a channel in “drum
mode” calls up a standard drum ki

So there you go!
Old 06-13-2006, 12:21 AM

Quote:
re Modes? Was this term used by OMS to describe the Channel Sets used by midnam files? Just wondering if my terminology was confused after working with OMS for serveral years.
STOP PRESS!!!

Channel Sets in midnam files appear as Modes in Pro Tools patch select windows.

When you create a Channel Set (eg. using CherryPicker) to manage different banks being selected on different MIDI channels, you access then using the Bank menu in Pro Tools Patch Select window.

No wonder I was confused!

So "modes" (as used in CherryPicker) are something completely different?
Old 06-16-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: MIDI Studio Setup; Thank you Robert Martin

so basically i lost my hard drive and with it the midnam for my ZR-76....so i was wondering if anyone had it or the original poster could up it for me again

Old 06-16-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Re: MIDI Studio Setup; Thank you Robert Martin

Hi obiwanws2, yeah sorry buddy, I don't have it.

filosofem