Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 12-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Default Re: What happens if I DON'T upgrade to PT11 before December 31st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Hey guys, what plugins are you using to bleep out foul language in your projects?
We use a plugin called iSwear Complete which is fantastic

And also Rubbish-B-Gone 2.0 works for Win and Mac

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-30-2014, 01:26 PM

I need a dont double the price every 2 years plug in. Ill take a beta even.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooksound View Post
Originally Posted by hooksound:
The Dec 31, 2014 deadline is for owners of Pro Tools M-Powered/MP/LE/Express.

Taken from the licensing page:

Please note that all current Pro Tools 11 crossgrade offers from Pro Tools Express, Pro Tools LE, and Pro Tools M-Powered/MP will expire on December 31, 2014.

...and from the FAQ (relevant parts extracted):

CROSSGRADES FROM PRO TOOLS LE, EXPRESS, M-POWERED OR MP

Q. I have Pro Tools LE. Can I move up to Pro Tools?
A. Yes. For a limited time, you can crossgrade to Pro Tools 11 for only $199 through 2014 ... and activate your Pro Tools 11 software by December 31, 2014.

Please note:

This crossgrade offer from Pro Tools LE to Pro Tools | Software will expire after December 31, 2014, so upgrade now!

Furthermore:

Q. I have Pro Tools Express, Pro Tools M-Powered, or Pro Tools MP. Can I move to Pro Tools?
A. Yes. For a limited time, you can crossgrade to Pro Tools | Software for just $199 and get additional upgrades for one year. Crossgrades must be activated by December 31, 2014 to be eligible for this offer, so take advantage now.
Very carefully read the offer, including the price part.

Now, you do realize that the offer includes both a description of what you get, and a price for it, right?

If Avid changes "what you get", is it the same offer? Hint...NO!

If Avid changes the price, is it the same offer? Hint...NO!

Do I know for an absolute fact that the crossgrade will still be available on or after 01/01/2015, but with a different price? Nope.

But based on a whole lot of other stuff that is on here, when accurately read and comprehended, there is a least some possibility that you might still be able to upgrade, but at a higher price...you know, a different offer...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-30-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Very carefully read the offer, including the price part.

Now, you do realize that the offer includes both a description of what you get, and a price for it, right?

If Avid changes "what you get", is it the same offer? Hint...NO!

If Avid changes the price, is it the same offer? Hint...NO!

Do I know for an absolute fact that the crossgrade will still be available on or after 01/01/2015, but with a different price? Nope.

But based on a whole lot of other stuff that is on here, when accurately read and comprehended, there is a least some possibility that you might still be able to upgrade, but at a higher price...you know, a different offer...
And all of the above refers to "LE, EXPRESS, M-POWERED OR MP". I thought the original poster had PT 10 and asked about that, not those versions.

At the end of the licensing page section you refer to you'll find a link to an Avid blog post. In that post there's a chart describing the prices for the support plan. Right above the chart it says
Quote:
To encourage you to get on the Avid MediaCentral platform with Pro Tools | Software, we are offering upgrade/crossgrades to Pro Tools 11 and Pro Tools HD 11 at very attractive prices with major savings over previous offerings (all prices are US$) – available now:

The new simplified upgrade/crossgrade pricing of $199 and $599 for HD offers substantial savings to most upgrade customers.
Nothing about a time limit yet. When you look at the chart which then includes the crossgrade offers from the aforementioned versions you'll see an asterisk next to them. Below is the text that goes with that asterisk:

Quote:
* LE, MP, EX upgrade offer of $199 extends to activation of this upgrade by Dec 31st 2014, after this date upgrade terms may change
So now we can see exactly what you mentioned, the Dec 31st offer time limit applied to those specific versions, and not the other ones (i.e. PT 9/10).

And as before, separated clearly from any talk about pricing, a note about the special offer to extend the support plan through March 2016 if activated before Dec 31st this year.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:07 PM

This is what I know from personal experience...

1. the price used to be $250 for hd owners.

2. then the price went to $1000 for hd10 (release 10/20/11)

3. then the price went to $600 for hd11 (release 6/21/13)

4. Now the price will be $1200 ($600 per year and upgrades come roughly every 2 years)

I do not like this.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post

4. Now the price will be $1200 ($600 per year and upgrades come roughly every 2 years)

I do not like this.
+1

Also that $250 was not tied to a new hardware purchase. I had second hand HD Core and Process cards then bought HD 7 directly from the Digi store. When I encountered the only problem I've ever had setting up I called and talked to somebody at Digi support. No code needed. Haven't needed to call them until PT 11 (which is still a complete mess for many users) but couldn't speak to anyone.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post

I do not like this.
When I first read that I thought 'that's just crazy' but then I realized that it's entirely accurate.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:56 PM

Jan 2, 2015 is a Friday and usually a working day. My guess is that Avid won't announce or change anything by Jan 2, 2015 and that nobody anywhere will know what these upgrades cost or include at that time. But that won't matter because they won't be able to purchase the upgrade anyway. Might hear something on Jan 5 but that's a long shot. Stock price is up. Who cares about anything else?
Old 12-30-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
Also that $250 was not tied to a new hardware purchase.
Also that back then we had to pay for dot releases too, so...

PT7.0
PT7.2
PT7.3
PT7.4

That is a thousand dollars in upgrades, in case you already had PT6HD and upgraded through every dot release.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Also that back then we had to pay for dot releases too, so...

PT7.0
PT7.2
PT7.3
PT7.4

That is a thousand dollars in upgrades, in case you already had PT6HD and upgraded through every dot release.
That is a fair point. Let's look at the total time between those releases.

7.0 11/03/2005 to 7.4 11/07/2007

So 1000 over 2 years. 500 per year if you stayed current. How much did it cost if you missed a decimal upgrade? I think it was just $250 regardless. Now it is mandatory $600 per year.

Regardless, that is almost on par with what is offered now. you have made a good argument