Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2016, 09:05 AM

Default Elastic Audio workflow/ Selecting and Moving Groups of Warp Markers

Hi. Did a search. Did many. Found the trick with the quantization that can help you turn all event markers into warp markers. This is still not much of a help because I still have to click on every single one of those markers to move them to the grid, which is THOUSANDS of clicks when timing a drum performance.

Here's what I'd LIKE to be able to do:

I had a band track some songs to a click. The performance is excellent. The drift from the click is minimal. Stylistically, however, I'd like to see what happens if I really tighten it up. I'm looking for super polish. This stuff should be slick.

In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to select a resolution for the event markers. Quarter note resolution would be awesome. Even bar resolution. Even without that, it would be nice to have every event marker become a warp marker and then be able to select all warp markers and have them move to the grid, each one independently moving the amount and direction needed to get to the closest grid line. I cannot believe there are not simple commands for this. Reading the threads here, I see that many people want this type of thing.

Is there any kind of workaround for this?

I realize that doing it all at once would potentially create a few trouble spots, but it would be faster to go in and fix those than click thousands of times.

I'm also wondering about detection. If I only detect on the kick and snare tracks, is there a way to get the other tracks to move when I move warp markers? Even this would make things easier as I wouldn't have the problem of flammy markers when a hit and kick flam a bit.

Thank you.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio workflow/ Selecting and Moving Groups of Warp Markers

You will likely get many opinions on this, so here's mine.
#1-if the drums and rest of the band are sounding good, I would consider NOT "fixing" it.
#2-if you still want/need to grid things(like maybe you want to use some loops that are hard-quantized), duplicate the playlist(s), or go to File>Save As and give it a new name so the original version is always available.
#3-you could do some "partial" quantizing manually on the areas that need it most.
#4-you also might consider moving other instruments to match the drums. Usually, I care more about everything feeling tight over locking to the grid.
#5, if you open Elastic Properties and lower the sensitivity, you can get fewer warp markers for a less-stringent quantization.
#6-(maybe should have been #1) elastic audio is not the best tool for locking drums to the grid(too much possibility of phase smear). Beat Detective or doing a manual edit(what I usually do here) will give better sounding results. Yes, its more work, but the end usually justifies the means

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave