Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2022, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Permanent License Lost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
Hi, I'm having the same problem. I purchased a perpetual license a few years ago and used it maybe 2-3 times a year. Sometimes I would not pay for the $100 support update when it would expire and then do it when I needed it again. Well, the last time I did it, I was switched to a subscription service. I've tried several times to reach someone through the chat and can't. I've sent in a support ticket months ago and zero response. I'm baffled by all of this. I paid $600 for a program I've only used a handful of times and was happy to pay the yearly $100's to maintain it, but now I have to pay $200-$300 a year and can't use my perpetual license? Please tell me there is a way I can get this back? I don't care if its not the latest greatest version. I'm a casual user and just thought it would be nice to own it for when I needed it on occasion but can't use it at all now. Please help. Thanks, Dustin
Did you really lose your license or lose access to updates & support? Big difference. If you truly had a permanent license you should have still had it.

Your problem was not continually paying the yearly Avid tax. Things have changed over the years. You can't skip a year anymore. Unless you can find a third party seller you're out of luck for a perpetual license renewal. Avid hasn't sold them for years. One option is to pay full-boat $600 for a non-HD PT license and keep up with the yearly payment. You have to really ask yourself what's better for you - no one can tell you that. If you truly only use it from time to time the subscription is your only other option.

QAPLA!
Old 03-19-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Hi, I'm having the same problem. I purchased a perpetual license a few years ago and used it maybe 2-3 times a year. Sometimes I would not pay for the $100 support update when it would expire and then do it when I needed it again. Well, the last time I did it, I was switched to a subscription service. I've tried several times to reach someone through the chat and can't. I've sent in a support ticket months ago and zero response. I'm baffled by all of this. I paid $600 for a program I've only used a handful of times and was happy to pay the yearly $100's to maintain it, but now I have to pay $200-$300 a year and can't use my perpetual license? Please tell me there is a way I can get this back? I don't care if it's not the latest greatest version. I'm a casual user and just thought it would be nice to own it for when I needed it on occasion but can't use it at all now. Please help. Thanks, Dustin
With Avid especially you have to read what you are buying very carefully. You purchased a perpetual to subscription "deal" from Avid that surrendered your perpetual license in return for a discount subscription. Maybe not clearly described as it should have been, but Avid got somewhat better at that over time, either way there are many posts from pissed off purchasers on DUC.

Forget the chat.

If you filed a support case post the incident number here, and folks should be able to get that looked at for you.

If all this happened in the distant past maybe you should just give up and purchase a new monthly or annual subscription, that maybe more what you want anyhow?

This is another reason to buy though a high-end quality reseller (e.g. Vintage King) unless you are absolutely clear on what you are doing. They'll often have real live folks who can help you.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Hi, I'm having the same problem. I purchased a perpetual license a few years ago and used it maybe 2-3 times a year. Sometimes I would not pay for the $100 support update when it would expire and then do it when I needed it again. Well, the last time I did it, I was switched to a subscription service. I've tried several times to reach someone through the chat and can't. I've sent in a support ticket months ago and zero response. I'm baffled by all of this. I paid $600 for a program I've only used a handful of times and was happy to pay the yearly $100's to maintain it, but now I have to pay $200-$300 a year and can't use my perpetual license? Please tell me there is a way I can get this back? I don't care if its not the latest greatest version. I'm a casual user and just thought it would be nice to own it for when I needed it on occasion but can't use it at all now. Please help. Thanks, Dustin
I'll do my best to track down your support case and reply to that.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
...Maybe not clearly described as it should have been, but Avid got somewhat better at that over time...
FYI - Here's the dialog you had to click through to buy the crossgrade through my.avid.com.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crossgrade Perpetual Surrender Warning Jan 2020.jpg (42.7 KB, 0 views)