Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Strange noises coming from Adam Audio A7X studio monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedhouse Studio View Post
Well, this is interesting. I posted a reply on here 24 hrs ago, and it hasn't been graced with DUC posting worthiness yet. Maybe next week.
If you read this Brian, I have posted a comment on your Youtube video re: A7X issues. Cheers.

EDIT: So why did this post make it online but my previous one said "needs to be moderator approved"??
no clue, but I approved it.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:48 AM

No worries. Code fairies again I guess.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:37 AM

Hello,

Okay, I hate to be that guy who digs up an old thread, but I have to be that guy.

I too am experiencing the same issue with the audio as described in this thread. You hear an audible sweep shortly after powering the speaker on. At first I thought it was just when you powered it on. But then I heard it again and again and again. No signal supplied to speaker. Completely disconnected from an audio source. Tried different outlets, same issue.

I contacted the manufacturer but it never really went anywhere as I dismissed the issue as occasional and not bothersome, they were new then. Now it's all I ever hear when they're idling. I recorded it the sound and attached the spectral display.

My question is, have any of you had this issue resolved? If so, what did Adam do to resolve it? If not, why did Adam not fix it?

Thanks, guys!

Phil Godfrey
St. Louis, MO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image007.jpg (12.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-16-2018, 11:14 AM

Hey godfrey, sorry to hear you're having this issue. It definitely made me crazy during the time I was dealing with it...

After receiving a series of replacement A7X monitors from the retailer (B&H), ALL of which had the same problem, I ended up getting my A7X monitors replaced with a new set of A8X monitors by Adam Audio. According to them the A8X weren't affected by that problem and I'm happy to report that mine have been totally fine. knocks on wood

The Adam Audio rep I was in contact with said they identified the problem with the A7X and have corrected the issue w/ their production. godfrey, if yours are new enough you can try to get a replacement or at least get them to foot the bill for repair. Hopefully there's an authorized repair center near you that won't mess up something else in the process.

I only ever noticed the problem manifest once after powering on the speaker (and only one of the speakers from my originally purchased set had the problem) but I was concerned about other problems down the road. This problem is so plain-as-day obvious I'm kind of amazed so many units made it through Adam Audio's quality control - I mean, they're German! That apparent lack of quality control and the amount of time and effort on my part to finally get two studio monitors that didn't make strange noises will make me think twice about buying Adam Audio products in the future. I'm happy with my A8X set for now, but if and when I'm looking for monitors again, I'll probably prioritize models from other brands...

HTH - good luck!

Brian
Old 09-18-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwherry View Post
Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the correct forum... Anyway, I recently bought an Adam Audio A7X monitors (pair) + Sub10 Mk2 subwoofer bundle - and I really like the setup! Unfortunately one of the A7X units makes a strange noise - and the two replacement A7X units I've received (from B&H) also made the same noise! I made a YouTube video with audio clips and tons of information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNKI2YCZcM

I figure there are some A7X owners on here... Have any of you heard noises like this coming from yours? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian

After listening to the audio...I'd be inclined to call a priest!

Old 09-18-2018, 02:23 PM

That sounds spooky as hell ... I heard that sound once on Coast2Coast AM and it was a guy who had been recieving strange msgs from space (according to him) ... I would get rid of that speaker asap if you don't want "visitors" late night

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-13-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
Hello,
Okay, I hate to be that guy who digs up an old thread, but I have to be that guy.

I too am experiencing the same issue with the audio as described in this thread. You hear an audible sweep shortly after powering the speaker on. At first I thought it was just when you powered it on. But then I heard it again and again and again. No signal supplied to speaker. Completely disconnected from an audio source. Tried different outlets, same issue.

I contacted the manufacturer but it never really went anywhere as I dismissed the issue as occasional and not bothersome, they were new then. Now it's all I ever hear when they're idling. I recorded it the sound and attached the spectral display.

My question is, have any of you had this issue resolved? If so, what did Adam do to resolve it? If not, why did Adam not fix it?
No, by all means drag up the old thread :) From my experience so far, I can't see why Adam Audio should be afforded courtesy of being shielded from "not so pleasant" media exposure.

I have trouble believing they weren't aware of the speaker faults. A company with such professed high quality components and QC processes cannot claim ignorance. It's just not admirable. Perhaps they hoped users with this issue would suck it up and move on assuming they were just an isolated case. Happens a lot when people buy products they assume will be flawless because of the cost. Especially when consumers spend more than they comfortably would to get that protection. I mean we're not talking budget bin speakers here. If you charge for premium, then customers have to get premium?

I finally got fed up with listening to my speaker do the frequency sweep and realised that "push had come to shove". I needed to contact them about sorting out my issue.

Well that was a month ago. I emailed the direct contact @bwherry supplied to me, and I have not heard a peep back from Adam Audio since. Which is funny since I noticed they acknowledged a post I made on Twitter a while ago about this very issue.

I like bwherry, will most likely choose to spend my dollars with other brands next time the need arises.

If you see this post Adam Audio, please do me the courtesy and reply to my support email! You obviously spend a lot of marketing effort ensuring the public sees your company as a quality brand, well I'm yet to see a trace of this perception.

I'm also disappointed in the lie the retailer spun to me about buying the more expensive speaker model because of the extended warranty. After purchase I discovered that is simply not true, and is available to anyone who registers their speaker models on the AA website.

Good luck Phil.

Last edited by Shedhouse Studio; 10-13-2018 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Wrong name
Old 05-31-2021, 04:44 AM

I Don't know if anyone has solved this problem I also have the Adam A7x and the sub 7 I was also getting a terrible hum from the sub when in protools if I used the mouse it would hum my solution that worked for me was I plugged the sub 7 in a different wall socket from where my Mac Pro is plugged in .. I also went into protools and changed my output from Stereo to LCR now it is silent hope this helps someone
Old 05-31-2021, 07:55 AM

Bad Caps.. I would send the amp board in or the speaker for service. The caps after years do dry out. Had problems after years of use on all of my Genelec speakers and recently sent them in including the sub over a period of months and it did wonders for my studio. I was adding another 7 to the 5.1 room for Atmos including a new sub that is coming now. Again after like 16 years of use it happens I guess-:) They sound totally different now and the big sub I had needed a couple of new driver cards, which were updated btw. I was lucky to get the parts after all these years. Lesson is to have the experts deal with the problem.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS