Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 PM

Default Re: "hanging" applications when mbox 2 plugged in

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.martin View Post
Hey Folks,

For those (like me who don't use ProTools and are not going to pay for it just to fix bugs) who want a version 8 standalone Core Audio driver that fixes these annoying issues, there is actually a solution (well it's working on my MBox 2 on a dual processor 2.3GHz G5 machine anyway)! As we know, Digidesign only provide a 7.4.2 standalone driver for download and, sadly not an 8.0cs3+ driver - you need to pay for ProTools to have that... Well, maybe not, as I've discovered a way to get the new driver for free...

This first bit is very important: If you're running a PowerPC/Intel based Mac with Leopard, download the ProTools 8.01 update from http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...&categoryid=36

If you're running Snow Leopard on an Intel Mac, then you will want to get the 8.03 update from the link above.

So, that's 8.01 for PPC/Intel on Leopard and 8.03 for Intel on Snow Leopard! I don't know if 8.03 will work with Intel on Leopard as I haven't tested it, but it WILL NOT work on a PPC based machine!

Right then, once we have the correct file downloaded, mount the disk image, control+click the installer/updater package file and select 'Show Package Contents'. Now you'll have a new Finder window open up that shows everything inside the updater package. Navigate to the 'Packages' folder inside there, find the package called 'Digidesign CoreAudio.pkg' and double-click it to install. Then reboot and the job is done.

Why on Earth Digidesign don't provide this package as a standalone driver I will never know, but there you go. So far, I've managed to play audio from lots of apps at once, record into GarageBand and hot (un)plug the MBox 2 - all without a single crash, hiccup or Kernel panic! Before this, with the 7.4.2 driver, things would get randomly unstable very quickly. No more! Fantastic!

Hope this helps some people out there. It certainly made me dig out the MBox 2 out of the cupboard and dust off the cobwebs.
is this going to work for me...... running PT 8.3 MAC 10.5.8
2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo?

ta
Old 01-26-2010, 05:00 PM

allright...after reading several hours almost all this thread...I am even more confused than I was at the beginning

I recently bought NEW the following:

1 iMac. running Snow Leopard 10.6.2
1 Mbox 2 Mini, Pro Tools 8 included
2 M-audio BX8s Deluxe speakers (excuse my english, I am not american...)

The situation is this...I mostly do video editing work in Final Cut Pro...and resolve sound problems in Soundtrack Pro (mainly because my PT version does not seem to like OMF). Rarely, I use ProTools also on my audio files.

After reading the thread as I said, I am not sure about installing or not the Mbox...I am afraid I will experience system crashes and damaging my existing video and audio projects will mean disaster for me!

Is anyone kind enough to let me know, based on your own experience, if i can go ahead and install ProTools, update it to 8.0.3 from the Digi website, and still use the Final Cut Studio 3 suite and Pro Tools without problems?

Thank you in advance! Marius, from Romania.

P.S. On an older system, Soundtrack Pro just would not work after installing PT and the Mbox2 Mini (I got the red coreMIDI(not responding) process in my Activity Monitor).
Old 01-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkool View Post
allright...after reading several hours almost all this thread...I am even more confused than I was at the beginning

I recently bought NEW the following:

1 iMac. running Snow Leopard 10.6.2
1 Mbox 2 Mini, Pro Tools 8 included
2 M-audio BX8s Deluxe speakers (excuse my english, I am not american...)

The situation is this...I mostly do video editing work in Final Cut Pro...and resolve sound problems in Soundtrack Pro (mainly because my PT version does not seem to like OMF). Rarely, I use ProTools also on my audio files.

After reading the thread as I said, I am not sure about installing or not the Mbox...I am afraid I will experience system crashes and damaging my existing video and audio projects will mean disaster for me!

Is anyone kind enough to let me know, based on your own experience, if i can go ahead and install ProTools, update it to 8.0.3 from the Digi website, and still use the Final Cut Studio 3 suite and Pro Tools without problems?
Yes, you can - just don't plug in or unplug the Mbox 2 while the computer is one.

As for the CoreMIDI.framework issue - remove the DigidesignCoreAudio.plugin from MacHD>Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>HAL. It's only needed if you have a 002 or 003.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:46 PM

Thank for the quick reply. Will do, and will post a comment after, with the results.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
- just don't plug in or unplug the Mbox 2 while the computer is one.

As for the CoreMIDI.framework issue - remove the DigidesignCoreAudio.plugin from MacHD>Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>HAL. It's only needed if you have a 002 or 003.

I'm having major trouble with my mbox 2 crashing my mac ... Those were the only two things Digi tech support suggested might fix the issue, of course they didn't help at all.

One year later and still no core audio rewrite ... I need to find a solution other than the mbox, I can't afford getting kernel panics several times a day.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:44 PM

I AM VERY MAD RIGHT NOW
VERY VERY MAD

I HAD A FEW MONTHS TO PLUGIN MY MONITORS AND I JUST DECIDED TO INSTALL THEM SO I WILL LISTEN SOME MUSIC WITH MY MONITORS. I AM ON MBOX MINI 2 AND SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.5

MY ITUNES CRASHED MY MAC 2 TIMES WITHIN 10 MINUTES, SO I HAVE TO CLOSE MY MAC WITH THE POWER BUTTON AGAIN NOW.

IT'S ALMOST 2011,
WHY THIS MOTHER[bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ING PROBLEM STILL EXISTS ? WHY ?

I DONT WANT TO LISTEN 'SETUP THIS VERSION OF OSX, AND THIS VERSION OF PRO TOOLS AND IT WILL WORK". I DONT CARE ABOUT OLDER VERSIONS AND [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]. I WANT MY MBOX TO WORK PERFECT ON LATEST OSX. I PAYED 320 EUROS FOR THIS [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] - I SOLD RARE RECORDS TO COLLECT MONEY FOR THIS [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]. AND THIS [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] DOESNT WORK GOOD, IT'S A SOUND CARD AND I WANT TO LISTEN TO MUSIC.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:20 PM

No fix and that's why I quit using Protools at home and just use ProTools at when I'm paid to. Their solution appears to be the new PT 9 that finally use CoreAudio. I'm not going to spend that kind of money for a problem they never fixed.

The bigger problem is all the DAW's have their own set of problems. It's a very expense type of product to R&D, for a niche market, in a bad economy.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoolsfanatic View Post
I AM VERY MAD RIGHT NOW
VERY VERY MAD

I HAD A FEW MONTHS TO PLUGIN MY MONITORS AND I JUST DECIDED TO INSTALL THEM SO I WILL LISTEN SOME MUSIC WITH MY MONITORS. I AM ON MBOX MINI 2 AND SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.5

MY ITUNES CRASHED MY MAC 2 TIMES WITHIN 10 MINUTES, SO I HAVE TO CLOSE MY MAC WITH THE POWER BUTTON AGAIN NOW.

IT'S ALMOST 2011,
WHY THIS MOTHER[bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ING PROBLEM STILL EXISTS ? WHY ?

I DONT WANT TO LISTEN 'SETUP THIS VERSION OF OSX, AND THIS VERSION OF PRO TOOLS AND IT WILL WORK". I DONT CARE ABOUT OLDER VERSIONS AND [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]. I WANT MY MBOX TO WORK PERFECT ON LATEST OSX. I PAYED 320 EUROS FOR THIS [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] - I SOLD RARE RECORDS TO COLLECT MONEY FOR THIS [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]. AND THIS [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] DOESNT WORK GOOD, IT'S A SOUND CARD AND I WANT TO LISTEN TO MUSIC.
Which version of Pro Tools do you have installed? This was fixed in a CS version for 8.0.4 (cs2, I believe).

It still does not support hot-plugging and most likely never will.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoolsfanatic View Post

Your question was not clear. Do not plug in or disconnect the Mbox USB cable with the computer on.

With 10.6.4, you should be using 8.0.4. As you may know, 10.6.5 is not yet qualified.

What version of Mbox are you using? From Digi, "Pro Tools software versions below 8.0.3 are Not Compatible with Snow Leopard. Pro Tools 8.0.4 (and 8.0.3) are free updates for all Pro Tools 8 owners."
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:36 AM

Good morning

10.6.5 and 8.0.4cs2 now, works ok so far i hope it will not crash again.

Thank you