Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2012, 01:57 AM

Default Shall we really...

...celebrate any announcement of a new AAX Native only Plugin?

I mean: Is this a misleading sign for the companies that we are satisfied with Nativ and don´t need the DSP versions anymore?
Old 08-17-2012, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Shall we really...

Well I'll leave the celebration-thing alone. What I do agree is that the plug-in companies should clearly mark if their plug-in is:
AAX-Native or
AAX-DSP or
AAX-Native and AAX-DSP.

I have seen that a lot of the companies simply list that the plug-in supports AAX. And that's it. I think that is misleading and that every single plug-in should be clearly marked what it really is. That should be a necessity, not an option.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Very recently Native Instruments announced AAX versions of Massive, FM8, Reaktor and Absynth.

I still dont know if its DSP as well as Native.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 AM

My bet is native. My hope is DSP as well. I know that a lot of people wonder why DSP would be needed for a VI PI (since data/library still needs to be read via a HDD/SSD) but I would still like to see DSP based VI hosts because of stability/resource off loading reasons.

I am talking about VI hosts such as NI, Play or VSL. Guitar sims like Eleven do not fall into the above as they can clearly work DSP as a whole.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion777 View Post
My bet is native. My hope is DSP as well. I know that a lot of people wonder why DSP would be needed for a VI PI (since data/library still needs to be read via a HDD/SSD) but I would still like to see DSP based VI hosts because of stability/resource off loading reasons.

I am talking about VI hosts such as NI, Play or VSL. Guitar sims like Eleven do not fall into the above as they can clearly work DSP as a whole.
I'm really not sure how that would pan out as you still would have to access the pc ram (the cards simply don't have enough ram to load the samples on them) and or have the trigger loaded up on the card but access the HDD or SDD to complete the data, which in it self would be slower than having all the samples loaded into ram. That's where I don't know how this would work. I'ts obvious that the HDX card can access the data stored on the computer's ram since you can use disk cash, but that's the card and not the plugin itself??

Wave-T.com
Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I'ts obvious that the HDX card can access the data stored on the computer's ram since you can use disk cash (sic) ...
Just a bit of clarification...that's not quite correct...

Actually, Pro Tools accesses the data on a "drive" that exists in memory, the HDX card doesn't directly access memory...

And to drift back toward where the thread is heading, while Avid might have some tricks up their sleeve, I don't really think there would be much to be gained by shifting VI's to a DSP card. It's possible that some of the "effects" embedded in VI's (EQs, reverbs, dynamics) might benefit from a DSP card, the small gain probably wouldn't be worth the effort of coding it...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 08-17-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Just a bit of clarification...that's not quite correct...

Actually, Pro Tools accesses the data on a "drive" that exists in memory, the HDX card doesn't directly access memory...

And to drift back toward where the thread is heading, while Avid might have some tricks up their sleeve, I don't really think there would be much to be gained by shifting VI's to a DSP card. It's possible that some of the "effects" embedded in VI's (EQs, reverbs, dynamics) might benefit from a DSP card, the small gain probably wouldn't be worth the effort of coding it...
Once it's cached into the ram though (loaded onto the ram), it's no longer worked from the drive. It's still there on the drive, but the daw uses what's in the ram to work with, then writes that to the disk when there's a change to the data. That's why if something happens and you lose power you lose all the data that you have been working on that hasn't been saved to disk pior to the problem. If the data was read and worked on the disk, that wouldn't happen. At least that's what I get from it. Remember that you need the equal or more ram that all the audio data of your session (that is if you are caching the entire session) You're point is valid if you are only caching part of the session, at that time when it reaches the end of what has been cached, it will release the old and cache new data.

Of course though that's the traditional use of disk cache or more properly named ram disk. If Avid is using something else and naming it disk cashing, then it's a bit off.

But in this case, they are using it right
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JHAH...feature=relmfu

And doofus me I just saw your " " around the drive haha... *slaps forehead*

Wave-T.com
Old 08-17-2012, 06:05 PM

Considering NI have never done DSP, they're unlikely to start doing it now.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Considering NI have never done DSP, they're unlikely to start doing it now.
And I don't think they've ever needed to. The clue is in the companies name!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:37 PM

Any company showing a commitment to the future should be encouraged for the move
native to native = OK (most VIs fall in here)
DSP to DSP = should be expected
DSP to native = golf clap at best
native to native + DSP = standing ovation

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig