Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2009, 06:12 AM

Default No group channels...so... what is the workflow, please?

Forgive me please...
Just coming over from years of Cubase 3, 4, 5...
In there we had Group folders where I would route channels 1-3 and work that group channel volumn fading out and in... for instance so Group channel 2, channels 3-4 could fade in...

I can't create a second Master Fader channel in Pro Tools Le 8, (well can, but..) then can route Channels 1-3 to Bus 7-8 Stereo for instance, but Master Fader 2 channel can not accept I/O input except from Stereo 1-2.

So, what is the new head-set that I have to get used to viewing this as to make that work out please?

I've got to route Channels 1-3 to somewhere so that I can fade their volumn in and out....

Oh, is it to record them down to one Audio track channel and to just fade the volumn on that one channel?

Thanks
Chuck
Old 09-13-2009, 07:23 AM

Default Re: No group channels...so... what is the workflow, please?

I figured it out, looking at some tutorials on AIR site; you route the Channels 1-3 to an Aux channel, and the Aux Send/Out to Master Fader Stereo 1-2.

Got it!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:14 AM

Alternatively, you could use the "groups" features in Pro Tools. Highlight the three tracks by holding down shift and clicking on the names of the tracks on the left side (not in the "edit" window.) Press CTRL+G to group them. Now, whenever you move the volume on one of them, the other two will move as well (unless they have volume automation written to them.) You can find your groups list by clicking on the "<<<" in the lower left of your screen to expand the track list/group list.

There are many things you can do with groups, download a copy of the Pro Tools manual from their website and check it out!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:31 PM

thanks Alex...

Actually I'm just learning about Groups now. I paid the $30.00 p/month for a months' worth of training videos online at http://www.vtc.com.

It's great.

And yes, I have the manual on my hard drive that came with MAudio mini usb and Pro Tools Le 8, plus there's a link in the Help drop down to the online sections of everything. The video training is helping the most for me.

What I did was to route all three tracks to Bus 11-12, and the input of an Aux track from Bus 11-12, and then I used the 'Volumn' sub track of the Aux to pan out/fade out.

And my other group of tracks are sent to another Aux track, and Bus 13-14, etc. and I fade into that with the sub menu Volumn track, just draw and move the dots around for the fade.

Nodding, I see how I could group the three tracks and use the fader to fade out, and fade in, good idea there too.

Thanks.
I'm coming from all of this from a midi drawing song writing angle.
(I used to play guitar, drums, etc. but neck injury doesn't allow me to work that way with much movement, and moving the mouse and drawing bars/notes works great for me). :)

Chuck