Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-05-2016, 10:24 PM

Default Pro Tools crashing after loading plugins AAE Error -9178

Hello All!

I guess I should start from the beginning. I recently switched out my computers hard drive (windows stopped loading, I needed a bigger hard drive) so I got windows all set up and my files transferred over (wasn't an image copy). Anyway I was trying to get my M-Track Plus audio interface to work so I was messing around with settings when my computer froze. Didn't seem like a big deal at the time so I just restarted my computer.

Ever since I've been getting this error message upon load. I've tried uninstalling everything to do with pro tools, reverting back to an older version (currently have 12.4 running), deleting the prefs and plug in database in trasher, deleting the workflow file, moving all of my plug ins to the unused folder with no luck. I've even had a avid tech support guy come in and try to speed up my PC with no luck (he wants to blame it on my i3 Processor but I don't buy it, pro tools loaded perfectly fine before the crash)

As soon as it loads the plug ins the -9178 pops up and it closes as soon as I hit okay or more info. Was able to generate a crash report once and that's it. Otherwise the program just closes as soon as I hit more info

Idk what to do. I just want to make music...

If you need any more information feel free to ask

Windows 7 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
3 TB Seagate Hard Drive
8 GB ram
Nvidia GeForce GT 520
M-Audio M-track Plus MKII

Old 12-06-2016, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools crashing after loading plugins AAE Error -9178

Tech was right.....i3 isn't the hot setup for running Pro Tools....even an i5 is low on the acceptability list. (Loading is one thing, RUNNING efficiently is another matter altogether. Most of us having success are running i7 processors.) 8gb ram is the bare minimum.....16 gb is recommended. And you're only listing one hard drive (no specs on it, either. Is it 7200 rpm?) where you should have your sessions on a separate dedicated drive.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...m-Requirements
Old 12-07-2016, 11:25 AM

Sigh, I suppose I should face the music. I'm not 100% sure that's whats causing this crash, but getting a new up to snuff pro tools PC would be a really good idea. I'll have to shop around boxing day to see if I can buy/build one for a decent price.

Would you recommend running pro tools on an SSD? I think that'd probably be best.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:57 AM

The preferred set-up is to install your operating system, ProTools and any other programs you use on a SSD. Your sessions should be on a separate drive - usually a HDD with 7,200 RPM spin rate. If you have large sample libraries, a third drive (SSD for fast loading) is recommended, but if you don't have large sample libraries, they can reside on the operating system's SSD. Just don't let the SSD fill up too much, keep about 10% free. Once you get everything installed on the SSD, and all of the ProTools optimizations done, make an image of the drive and store it on an external drive. That way if something "breaks" in the future you won't have to reinstall the os, protools, etc. you just restore from the image.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.