Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 04-07-2016, 12:26 PM

Default Waveshell 9.3 / 9.6 AAE Error -9178 [SOLVED]

So I just recently upgraded to PT 12.5 and I've been having a hell of a time getting my Waves plugins to work. Every time PT tries to load Waveshell, I get an "AAE Error -9178" message, and PT crashes; PT loads perfectly fine without Waveshell in my plugins folder.

I've contact both Waves and Avid to no avail. I've tried every possible solution I can dig up on Google, including the really obscure stuff like uninstalling Internet Explorer (?). I've downgraded my PT to 12.4, downgraded my Waves plugins to 9.3, and still nothing.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled/clean/manual countless times and I'm sick of it. I'm really at my witts end here, and I'm not sure what else I can do. I am running an older motherboard/CPU combo on this PC, which is the only possible problem I can see.

However, PT 12 runs perfectly fine on this setup, even with larger sessions. I find it hard to believe that my PC barely chugs with the entirety of PT, but somehow just can't negotiate my Waves plugins.

Anyone here have any experience with this issue? I have crash logs saved here if anyone is interested.

UPDATE 04/10/16:

So I managed to solve the issue on my own. I doubt this problem is widespread, but I'll post the solution in case anyone else encounters this issue.

The tiny elephant in the room was my CPU (Core 2 Quad), which both Avid and Waves claim to not support, although it seemed to work well with PT12.

I had to upgrade my socket 775 motherboard to an 1155, and popped in an old Core i7 I had laying around. As a consequence, I also had to purchase new compatible RAM (DDR2 to DDR3), and a new optical drive; the whole upgrade cost me about $200.

This appears to has solved the issue; my Waves plugins are loading just fine now.

This would've been done a long time ago were it not for my incessant laziness about having to basically rebuild this PC form scratch. I doubt anyone who purchased a PC post-2010 would ever encounter this issue, but the info is here if needed.

Last edited by mpalma87; 04-10-2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 04-07-2016, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Waveshell 9.3 / 9.6 AAE Error -9178

Welcome to the community. I had to manually approve your post because it had a link in it and you are not allowed to post links in first X posts (don't remember if it's 3 or 5 or whatever...)
Old 04-07-2016, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Waveshell 9.3 / 9.6 AAE Error -9178

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Welcome to the community. I had to manually approve your post because it had a link in it and you are not allowed to post links in first X posts (don't remember if it's 3 or 5 or whatever...)
Thanks!