Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-17-2008, 11:14 AM

Default Increase buffer size error

I've upgraded to ProTools 7.4 from 6.9 on my Windows XP laptop, using the original Mbox. When I record, after 30 seconds or so the recording stops and I get an error saying CPU is holding off interrupts, and to try increasing the buffer size. I increase the size to max, and try recording again, and then get an error saying that I now need to DECREASE the buffer size.

It's pretty much impossible to record anything over 30 seconds long. I've disabled anti-virus, spybot, and anything else I can think of that would hog CPU power. When I view the processes running, I see "system idle task" that takes up 99 percent CPU. I'm unable to force quit this process, and it appears to be built in to Windows XP.

Has anyone had this problem before? Were you able to fix it? If so, how?

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Increase buffer size error

Not sure what you have tried yet...
But I'd start with this...

Are you recording to your main systems hard drive?

Have you ran msconfig to turn off un-needed software that is running in the back ground?

If you can't figure out what to turn off have you tried?:

Run msconfig and un-check both Load system Services and Load Startup Items

This will run XP with bare bones. You won't be able to go on-line, etc. but it's a way to see if you can get PT running.

Before that I would get buffer under-over run errors every 30 seconds or so. This was after I ran msconfig and basicly un-checked every thing in the Load Startup Items window but I didn't touch the Load Systems window. It would still "under or over run" the buffer.

I'm using an older P4 2.2 Dell. 003 Rack PTLE 7.4. I turned off everything (un-checked Load Systems and Load Start up Items) and it is now very stable.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:57 PM

Did you disable your network card and/or wireless?

See the General Troubleshooting sticky for more ideas. If that doesn't solve the issue, post a Sandra or PCWizard report.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-19-2008, 02:05 PM

Unchecking "load system services" and "load startup items" did the trick. Thanks. Hopefully I'll play around w/ it more and not have to run ProTools in the bare bones state. Rather annoying.