How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2018, 04:19 AM

Default Insert on monitoring

Hi!

I have an S10 with DAD DX32 for i/o and monitoring. In my studio I use the Sonarworks plugin to compensate for acoustic issues in my particular room, which does help a lot. To be able to listen to all sources (PT, Mac etc.) through the correction, I have set up a "detour" patch of the monitor signal through a Dante stream into the Sonarworks plugin in AULab, and back again to the physical output that drives my speakers. All is well, except for a round trip latency which prevents me from using the correction during tracking while listening in the control room. So for tracking situations, I need to physically change the signal path and monitor profile in the DAD, and then repatch when I´m done tracking. This works, but it is a but unsexy and cumbersome process....

So, on the S6 monitoring section there is a button named "Insert", which seems to be unused at the moment.
I would like to be able to use this button to switch in and out a user defined insert point in the DAD monitor profile (which is practically the same software as for the MTRX, right?), so I can easily switch between corrected listening (with latency) and uncorrected listening (without latency).

Can this be done?

Best,

Javed Kurd

Oslo, Norway.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:23 PM
Avid

Default Re: Insert on monitoring

Greetings,

That is certainly an interesting workflow that you have implemented. With regard to room tuning, we certainly want to leverage the upcoming DSP option card from DAD which is integrated directly into the DADman application and could be further implemented for more comprehensive control directly from the S6 surface.

http://www.digitalaudio.dk/PRODUCTS/...ontrol-License

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-22-2018, 06:47 AM

Thanks for your reply!

If I understand correctly, the DSP card you are referring to will only fit in the MTRX or AX32?

So that still leaves DX32 users with no implemented hardware option, as I can see?

An insert point as requested would then give DX32 (and X-mon?) owners an alternative solution, whether they choose to do like me, routing through software, or through other hardware solutions like Trinnov, KRK Ergo or similar.

I would think that an option to switch the insert (and the latency) on or off with a button is a very handy and functional solution for everyone using room correction?

Thanks,
Javed.:)
Old 01-22-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karegranat View Post
I would think that an option to switch the insert (and the latency) on or off with a button is a very handy and functional solution for everyone using room correction?

Thanks,
Javed.:)
The normal way to do this is put the correction on the B chain output and it is the responsibility of the room correction hardware/software to have a bypass. This has been the way it has worked forever (JBL, Meyer Sound, White, BSS, Peavey Nion, Trinnov, etc.) Even when dealing with monitoring from Kii or Genelec's GLM (or Dynaudio/TC Elec. AIR) the latency bypass due to processing is on the end point.

You've created a very specific (and quite frankly -- not good) solution to your problems. It's not good for the obvious other problems you've created. If you are using DADman, you could mult your output chain into two different monitoring setups one with and one without your "insert" -- which would actually just be the receiving signal post efx. Then flip which monitor chain you want open.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
The normal way to do this is put the correction on the B chain output and it is the responsibility of the room correction hardware/software to have a bypass. This has been the way it has worked forever (JBL, Meyer Sound, White, BSS, Peavey Nion, Trinnov, etc.) Even when dealing with monitoring from Kii or Genelec's GLM (or Dynaudio/TC Elec. AIR) the latency bypass due to processing is on the end point.

You've created a very specific (and quite frankly -- not good) solution to your problems. It's not good for the obvious other problems you've created. If you are using DADman, you could mult your output chain into two different monitoring setups one with and one without your "insert" -- which would actually just be the receiving signal post efx. Then flip which monitor chain you want open.
Respectfully, I disagree in your conclusion here.

Yes, there are several hardware solutions with their own bypass switch, but they are very often stowed away in racks or out of reach to be managed easily.

Being a music producer in broadcast, I know of several other systems that have this functionality implemented in the control surface (Studer and Lawo just to name a couple that springs to mind).

Also, the solution you mention using DADmans Monitor Profile would mean that you have to define two separate listening chains going to the same physical output (monitors). As far as I know that is not possible to do i Monitor Profile, but maybe I have missed something...?

Since you seem to have a solution, could you please share how to actually set this up?

Javed.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:15 PM

You set them up as two separate source chains not outputs. (I can elaborate if you'd like but I think that should get you thinking in the right direction)

(bypasses for rack gear calibration have been on GPIO triggers or other remote bypasses including software)