Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-18-2019, 02:31 PM

Default Pro Tools 12 upgrade question

I purchased a Pro tools Ultimate perpetual license a while back. I never renewed the support/subscription plan after the year ran up.

I received an email earlier today stating that if I don't renew my support plan, etc. before January first, that I wouldn't be eligible to do so anymore after that. But my perpetual license will continue to work.

Now, I am of the mindset that constant updates to both the OS and Pro Tools just causes lots of lost hours and headaches due to trying to figure out why this update causes problems, etc. So I just find a version that is stable and work with it for as long as I feel is necessary. I am currently running 12.7.1 and Mac OS 10.12.2 .

I am thinking it might be time to upgrade soon, and reinstating my subscription might be the easiest/cheapest way for me to get the newer version of pro tools. But I am curious, if I renew my subscription plan, and keep it for the one year to get the upgrade, do I still get to keep the perpetual license for the current version at the end of that one year?
Old 12-18-2019, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 upgrade question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglesworth View Post
I purchased a Pro tools Ultimate perpetual license a while back and reinstating my subscription might be the easiest/cheapest way for me to get the newer version of pro tools. But I am curious, if I renew my subscription plan, and keep it for the one year to get the upgrade, do I still get to keep the perpetual license for the current version at the end of that one year?
A subscription doesn’t include a perpetual license so if you ”reinstate” a subscription you loose your Perpetual License.

If you reinstate a supoort plan you keep your Perp license after your year is up should you stop paying.

So which is it? A sub or a support plan? Huge difference!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-19-2019, 10:01 AM

My bad. I should have been more clear. THe email specifically states "Updates + Support Plans". It would appear from your previous statement, that this would mean I can renew my plan for this and get the updates for the next year, and then do my normal wait until my machine becomes too outdated for some stuff plan? I just want to confirm that so I don't make a mistake, here.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:41 AM

Right, the reinstatement from Avid disappears after 31dec 2019 so do that before that date and you are good. Otherwise you will have to find one from a reseller, buy a new license, or go subscription and that is not a perpetual license.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-04-2020, 05:02 PM

SO I indeed did purchase this on 12/31. However, under the my products page, my perpetual license is still showing that the updates and support is still expired. I started a support case, but I haven't gotten any response yet. Anyone have any ideas? Because they sure took my $599...