How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2015, 02:30 AM

Default Input monitoring question

Hello

Since the release of PT12.1 not hd users were made input monitoring available to them. My question is when I am record enabling a track I can still hear monitored signal pass through (with latency) through pro tools even though input monitoring is NOT enabled. Is that the way it is supposed to be or is it a bug or should fix something in my pro tools settings?

I am monitoring through my interface mixer (to eliminate latency) and every time I record I am forced to pull the pro tools fader all the way down. Is there a way so set up pro tools so that I will monitor the record enabled track ONLY if input monitoring is on?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2015, 02:33 AM

Default Re: Input monitoring question

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarist9891 View Post
Hello

Since the release of PT12.1 not hd users were made input monitoring available to them. My question is when I am record enabling a track I can still hear monitored signal pass through (with latency) through pro tools even though input monitoring is NOT enabled. Is that the way it is supposed to be or is it a bug or should fix something in my pro tools settings?

I am monitoring through my interface mixer (to eliminate latency) and every time I record I am forced to pull the pro tools fader all the way down. Is there a way so set up pro tools so that I will monitor the record enabled track ONLY if input monitoring is on?

Thanks!
What interface?
Low Latency monitoring enabled? -- if supported?(try it off and on)
Old 09-01-2015, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What interface? What exact mode is input monitoring in?
Low Latency monitoring enabled?
Interface is Steinberg UR824
Low latency monitoring is not enabled (Since I like to monitor through my interface software mixer I never turned it on)

Not sure what mode inout monitoring is on...how do I check?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2015, 03:25 AM

Turn Low Latency Monitoring on - that will mute tracks that are in record so you only hear through your interface software mixer. If input monitoring is off (and Auto Input Monitoring is on), you will still hear what's on the track in the lead up to a drop in. Works great!

Last edited by GeoffLee; 09-01-2015 at 03:56 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Hello

Thanks!
You are mistaking individual track input monitoring (the feature that got added) with auto track muting referenced in threads like this:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=351623

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
You are mistaking individual track input monitoring (the feature that got added) with auto track muting referenced in threads like this:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=351623
So if I am using pt12.1 non HD then the only workaround is using something like mute-tone plugin? (downloading now)

Turning on input monitoring on individual track is still an only HD feature?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
So if I am using pt12.1 non HD then the only workaround is using something like mute-tone plugin? (downloading now)

Thanks!
HD doesn't have this feature either. (again, it's not called Inout Monitoring. It doesn't really have a name since it doesn't exist, but most called it "auto mute tracks in record" or something to that effect)

Yes, Mutetone or running the DAW at a 64 sample buffer which is what I do.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
HD doesn't have this feature either. (again, it's not called Inout Monitoring. It doesn't really have a name since it doesn't exist, but most called it "auto mute tracks in record" or something to that effect)

Yes, Mutetone or running the DAW at a 64 sample buffer which is what I do.
Thanks. At least input monitoring is convenient when I am using VEPRO5 running all my VIs. Before the 12.1 update I had to keep the Audio channels that were receiving input from my VI's constantly record enabled.

To be honest I am pretty surprised this feature doesn't exist in Pro Tools at all. I have Cubase as well (have been using that since SX3 days for over 10 years) and Cubase has that feature. But nothing beats Pro Tools automation, at least for me.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
Turn on Low Latency Monitoring - it will mute the record enabled track so you only hear your input through your interface software mixer.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Just in case you weren't aware: you can set the channel's fader to different settings depending on rec enabled state. So set the fader to -inf when rec enabled, something else when not, and the fader wil jump between the two when you switch the rec button.