Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM

Default Best way to utilize 2 Eleven Racks?

Hey guys. With the price of 11r falling, (and with my XLR outs failing) I've been considering picking up a second unit. I've been trying to figure out the best way to use them at the same time...

I'm pretty sure you can set your digital out as a Rig out or Rig in, so I'd plug into unit #1, SPDIF out to #2 and set the Rig input to SPDIF L. The question is how do I combine them into one stereo pair in the end....I was considering going out one side of the FX Send from #1 and going into the same side of FX Return on #2. Then #2's Main outs will function as the entire rig L/R.

Any other, better ideas? I'm all ears. Eyes? Whatever.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Best way to utilize 2 Eleven Racks?

I've been asking the same questions. And pondering two different use scenarios. Live running two rigs with one player and studio with one or two players.

Some scenarios are simple EG Live using a splitter to feed both inputs and then presumably running the floor controller into unit 1 and then slaving unit two to that with a MIDI cable and dealing with the analog outputs appropriately.

In my studio where I'm currently connected via SPDIF and monitor though my 003 or a Headphone amp I could use a pair of analog ins like 5-6 or 7-8. heaphones or monitoring wouldn't matter because you would be bussing through the larger interface.

With the current deals though its tempting to add a second interface.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Ohhhh...the options with this are awesome. I won't carry on with that, as everyone can figure out the plethora of ways to accomplish several options; however, buying it and getting Eleven AAX, as well, is a whole other world. One can end up with at least four different amps, cabs, mics, etc...and experimentation from there takes off. Crazy.

Live is a whole other animal I haven't had the fortune to attack, yet, but am looking forward to.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 PM

I'm curious if one can control 2 separate units from the ER window. If theres any conflict with having two plugged via USB at the same time. That track embedding would work with 2 units.

I think this is an interesting area of discussion.

Even simply using a second via analog in standalone mode would be great at the current sale prices of you needed to be able to track two guitarists at the same time.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-01-2013, 04:08 PM

My rationale on combining the two into unit #2 is that I can use stereo FX on both (verb/delay/etc). I do see the advantage to having them be discrete but I think I can figure out a way to program that into the preset; turning the loop on and off, programming in a stereo/mono loop, etc.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:16 PM

I know this is might be pretty obvious but couldn't you switch between the two while playing live so as to not have notes and/or reverb tails cut off?
Seagate 500GB GoFlex Pro 7200rpm Firewire 800 Ultra Portable Drive
Audient iD22 and Focusrite Pro 40 Interfaces
Focusrite Red 3 compressor
Lexicon 300
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Waves Gold Bundle • CLA Classic Compressors • Slate FG-X, VBC, VCC, VTM
Slate Trigger EX • Superior Drummer 2.0
Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAR Fritz View Post
I know this is might be pretty obvious but couldn't you switch between the two while playing live so as to not have notes and/or reverb tails cut off?
Thats another possibility also.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 PM

Sunburst,

You could use a second one to track a second guitarist without having to use the analog outs. You can have them both go digital and just have the same one step of A/D conversion for each one (the exact same conversion with the same latency, in fact).

One would be the interface, hooked up by usb, with the guitar input as the rig input, recording to one track (stereo or mono). The second unit would be in standalone mode, with the digital out mirroring main outs. The digital outs of that would go into the digital ins of the one being used as the interface. In Protools (or any other DAW), you set up another track (stereo or mono) and set the input to the digital input of the main interface unit.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Sunburst,

You could use a second one to track a second guitarist without having to use the analog outs. You can have them both go digital and just have the same one step of A/D conversion for each one (the exact same conversion with the same latency, in fact).

One would be the interface, hooked up by usb, with the guitar input as the rig input, recording to one track (stereo or mono). The second unit would be in standalone mode, with the digital out mirroring main outs. The digital outs of that would go into the digital ins of the one being used as the interface. In Protools (or any other DAW), you set up another track (stereo or mono) and set the input to the digital input of the main interface unit.

Interesting I hadn't thought of using the digital inputs to pass through the signal of the second unit. I'm connecting mine to the 003 via SPDIF so my POV would be to use the Analog ins of that interface. One could also use the line ins on the 11R I presume. I've never used the USB connection only SPDIF so that's clouding my thinking. The drawback being you couldn't run a 11R and a 003 simultaneously. Via USB however one should be able to input 2 channels of SPDIF, the normal 11 output pair and the line inputs. So theoretically you could connect 3 11Rs and pass 3 pairs of output over USB - I think. Track embedding and control via the 11R window is only going to work with the main unit. I'm at a loss as to how any I1Rs beside the main unit would pass signal back for monitoring although it may possible to route a cue mix to unit number 2 via SPDIF. As far as a third unit connecting via the line ins I think monitoring would be an issue. I'm probably missing a bunch of stuff and haven't really looked at the manual in four years and its late here but that's some stuff to think about.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 03-02-2013, 08:51 AM

Yeah, I hadn't thought about some of the other logistics there. If you're wanting to track 2 guitarists while tracking a full band, then you would need more inputs, hence the need for the 003.

Also, monitoring could be an issue, as you mentioned. In this scenario, just one 11R would be your interface, and it only has one headphone out. You could use a headphone splitter box, or another headphone distributor from other outputs (maybe use the Spidf out of the main unit with the Aphex Headpod since it has digital Spidf input).

Other than that it's very easy to switch between interfaces. You could have the 003 and main 11R hooked up all the time, and you just go to the playback engine in PT and switch between them. When the 11R is not selected as the interface, it will still show the GUI window anyway while you're using the 003.