Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 AM

Default Passive speaker recommendations

Since I already own a power amp (200 watts-100 each side) I'm thinking about getting a couple of passive "PA" speakers to use live with my 11r. I'm looking at JBL <http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JRX115/> and wondering if anyone can recommend this speaker or something similar. Is a two way 15" speaker and horn the way to go? Is a 12" two way good? I really don't want to spend the money on a powered speaker system since I don't play live much anymore.

Many thanks in advance for your help guys!

Fritz
Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Passive speaker recommendations

What speaker you end up choosing has to do with the size of the room (the volume of air you need to light up) - so unless you were to specify what size room you were working in you are not going to get a very good answer.

As far as 12" vs. 15" and passive vs. powered- I can tell you I just specified a pair of QSC K12 powered 12" speakers for Newark Public Schools- they are really light - sound fantastic and lit up an auditorium that holds like 750 people... powered is such a good way to go for many reasons.. less setup, etc... the K12's are like $800 each...

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/k_series/
long.island.mac.tech@gmail.com
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:36 PM

My band uses a PA based on the JRX model in the OP, along with a pair of 18" JRX subs to complement, QSC and Peavey IPR poweramps, Rane crossover. Guitars and bass are all DI. The JRX will get the job done, but don't sound that great, IMO. The highs and lows are exaggerated so we compensate with some funny EQ-ing at the board.

IMO the size of the speaker has less to do with the size of the room, but more to do with the frequencies you're trying to push out. If you're going to be using it strictly for guitar, 10"-12" will most likely be more than enough. 15" can work out too, but you may need to filter out some of the lows.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:38 PM

Thanks guys. I'd be playing mainly small clubs. Just looking for a decent stage sound w/o spending a lot of cash. I'd buy powered monitors if I was playing more gigs like I used to. I know the QSC's and the EV 15" VSA talked about in his posts are highly recommended but I'm just looking for the best bang for the buck running my 11r through the amp I already have. Should I stay away from the 2 way Behringer passive speaker line? Are the Peavey 12" 2 way passive speakers any good?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAR Fritz View Post
Since I already own a power amp (200 watts-100 each side) I'm thinking about getting a couple of passive "PA" speakers to use live with my 11r. I'm looking at JBL <http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JRX115/> and wondering if anyone can recommend this speaker or something similar. Is a two way 15" speaker and horn the way to go? Is a 12" two way good? I really don't want to spend the money on a powered speaker system since I don't play live much anymore.

Many thanks in advance for your help guys!

Fritz

Hey, Fritz, thanks for starting this thread. If anybody's still interested in this topic, I have a couple of ideas to put out there. I've got an old Tubeworks Mosvalve 962 power amp from the 90's and have been looking for good passive PA speakers too. This thread has been really helpful so thanks for all the info. Right now I'm running my 11 Rack through that and an early 90's stereo Randall BMF Slash signature 4x12 w/ Celestion G-1275's in it. It sounds pretty good, but way better through my bro-in-law's crappy 1x12/horn PA speaker. I'm selling the cabinet by the way. it sounds great with a tube head, but it's too big to lug around and not bright enough for the 11R.

Since I'm on a very tight budget of 400. max/pair I'm looking for a good bang for buck. So far the best seems to be the Carvin PM12. It's specs are a bit better in all areas than the Alto TS112 and they're only 30 bucks more with shipping and come with two 50' 15 gauge speaker cables with nice plugs. The Carvin PM12 is 387. and the Alto is 358.

Here are the mfgr sites:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...product=PM12-2

http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/ts112

Some people complain about service with Carvin not being available locally and that you have to return them to the factory, but A: with a passive speaker, there's not much to go wrong and anyone can replace a speaker and B: Carvin's build quality has always been exceptional. My only tube head for 28 years was an '83 Carvin X-60B and it's still going strong in a punkabilly band. http://duc.avid.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I looked at the Behringer B212XL but the cabinets look thin and cheap and they don't publish the Max SPL rating on them, even in the owners manual, so that combined with their specs makes me a little wary of them. They're only $286 W/ shipping but I'm willing to pay for better quality.

The Kustom KPC12 and their monitor version, but they appear cheaply made too and Kustom's site doesn't publish the specs. No bueno. The RCF ART 312 and the QSC K series are really nice, but I can't afford them. I hope this helps.

Cheers n Beers!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Gave up on the passive speakers StormCrow, and wound up getting a pair of Alto TS112A's. I got to try them out at Guitar Center. Been pretty happy with them so far and the price was right. Someone else here is using them too and I believe are also pleased with them.

Don't know much about Carvin, but if at all possible you really need to play through them before you commit. You can't tell how they sound by specs alone. There's a lot of variables in speaker designs.

Good luck on your speaker quest!

Fritz
Old 03-13-2012, 12:56 AM

Hey Fritz, thanks for the recommendation, I really like the Alto passive version too from what I have see on them. Like you said, I won't know until I try them. I'm glad you found something that works for you, it can take a lot of effort to get your tone dialed in, not to mention money. I would love to go with powered cabs but this way is cheaper for me.

For anyone still interested in the topic, I've found a couple more passive speaker sets from Seismic Audio that I'll put links to below. I Have seen some very positive reviews of their other PA and bass guitar cabs on Harmony Central and Amazon, and their specs look pretty good so far. They definitely compete with the others I listed. Like Carvin, you have to buy them to try them, but from personal experience, they both have good customer service and return policies. The Quest continues...right after second breakfast...

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/...ctCode=LAVA+12

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/...s-p/fl-12p.htm

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/...ode=NPS-12PAIR

Last edited by StormCrow; 03-13-2012 at 01:08 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM

I know a lot of us went to FRFR for the 11R, and did it for a variety of reasons. Speaking for myself, I did it so I'd have a small, lightweight, all-purpose rig that I could use for electric and acoustic guitars as well as bass. I would have probably used a power amp and guitar speaker if I was only going to be playing electric through it, but adding both an acoustic and a bass to the mix required a sonic range that extended both above and below a normal guitar cab.

The other thing was that I had no power amp available, other than the FX returns on my various guitar amps. Since one of the reasons for going to the 11R was to downsize, it seemed sort of silly to keep dragging my amp with me - that was not an option; FRFR was the answer. The bonus now is that the FOH guy gets exactly what I want to hear, and we're not spending time futzing around with micing cabinets. I also like that I just tell the sound guy to leave the strip flat, and if the PA's properly EQ'd for the room, what I send him is how it's going to sound out front.

Lots of guys here use their 11Rs with power amps and guitar cabinets, and then mic them up. That's a perfectly reasonable thing to do for how they use them. Like I said, I might have done the same if I was only going to be using it for electric. If you're only using your 11 for electric, why not just get a couple of great guitar cabs to go with your power amp? There are lots of great choices from Avatar and others...

I'm not trying to push you away from FRFR, just pointing out some options that may work better for you...

In terms of PA, JBL make great raw speakers, and their old PA cabinet designs (4530, 4560, and so on) were state of the art for their time, but their current PA stuff - especially the small stuff - leaves a lot to be desired. Comparatively speaking, the EON stuff is garbage, and overpriced. We have a pair of $250 Behringers in the store that sound better than the $900 EONs we have in the same display.

I used to joke with a friend years ago that with all the great stuff out there in small PA, and even home stereo, JBL now stands for "Junk But Loud".

Summary because I got long winded (again...): Consider guitar cabs, but if you want PA, there is better stuff out there, and that better stuff is at a lower price-point than JBL. I'm sure there are unpowered EVs that would do the trick. I really liked the ELX115P powered cabinet (I actually liked it more than the K-12 I ended up buying), so I'd guess the non-powered version, the ELX-115, should be about the same...
Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 PM

A good friend of mine who plays bass just bought some Seismic Audio speakers and is very pleased with them.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:41 PM

Obviously a subjective topic - I really love the sound of the JBL JRX125's. It's an entry level passive dual 15" cab but paired with a QSC 2450 they sound great - a little warm but I found a flat signal doesn't need much additional EQ. Our singer and I went halves on that rig then our bass player and drummer decided they'd rather have actives and so they bought a pair of new QSC KW153's and the KW181 sub.

Alright - so I sold our JBL's and took back the QSC power amp and I have to say, I loved the JBL's and I'm not a big fan of the KW153's. Yes they are loud and clean - but they're too trebley to my ear and my Eleven Rack rigs running into the same mixer and same EQ settings have more high end and less mids than they had with the passive rig. As a matter of fact, I had to notch boost some mid in the mixer to make the KW153's sound correctly ("correct" being a relative term) but correct in the same sound I get when running through the power stage of my fender supersonic - the amp I use to fine tune all my rigs - and the same sound when running through the former QSC2450 and JRX125's.

I've also done A/B tests at Guitar Center where the employees have let me crank up PA's to ear splitting levels and I still come back to passive - and in particular the JRX125. It's just my preference.