Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Added another PCIE card and Pro Tools lags!

Hi,

I've been running Pro Tools HD2 PCI E for about a year now on a Mac pro Dual Core Intel with 10g of ram. I recently purchased another PCI E accel card and added it into the computer last week.

The card shows up in system usage and seems fine. But now it takes forever for pro tools to load up plug ins and also load up sessions. Some sessions it takes up to 45 minutes to load. When they finally load it says some plug ins were made inactive and the audio doesn't play out of the interface(192 i/o). These were all sessions that were opening and closing fine when I had just one accel card.

Also when I try and close certain sessions it stays on the freeing unused dsp stage for about 45 minutes to an hour.

I guess my next step is to remove the added card and see if the system works again.

Anyone have an idea what this could be? Thanks.

P.s. The new accel card is brand new. Package was sealed. Came with warranty from an avid dealer.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Added another PCIE card and Pro Tools lags!

Wow, you're a patient man. I'd never wait 45 minutes for a computer to do anything!!

Of course pull it out and see if all is good, but first does it pass Digitest?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:42 PM

Having the exact same issues as you. Except with a magma chassi. And I just added another card as well.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscoppa View Post
Hi,

I've been running Pro Tools HD2 PCI E for about a year now on a Mac pro Dual Core Intel with 10g of ram. I recently purchased another PCI E accel card and added it into the computer last week.

The card shows up in system usage and seems fine. But now it takes forever for pro tools to load up plug ins and also load up sessions. Some sessions it takes up to 45 minutes to load. When they finally load it says some plug ins were made inactive and the audio doesn't play out of the interface(192 i/o). These were all sessions that were opening and closing fine when I had just one accel card.

Also when I try and close certain sessions it stays on the freeing unused dsp stage for about 45 minutes to an hour.

I guess my next step is to remove the added card and see if the system works again.

Anyone have an idea what this could be? Thanks.

P.s. The new accel card is brand new. Package was sealed. Came with warranty from an avid dealer.
Hi,

As well as taking the new card out, also try putting the new card in, in place of the second card in your system using the same flexi cable to check if the card and the original flex cable are working, obviously if it works ok in place of card 2 it could be the flex cable between card 2 and card 3 or the PCI slot.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the troubleshooting ideas guys! I'm going to remove the card tomorrow plus swap it with the second one and check if it works.

For some reason my digidesign folder in applications doesn't have the digitest. Is there a place to download digitest?
Old 04-13-2011, 03:30 AM

It's inside the Pro Tools Utilities folder.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 AM

I want to do the digi test first but I don't have digitest in my utilities folder. Is there somewhere I can download it?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscoppa View Post
I want to do the digi test first but I don't have digitest in my utilities folder. Is there somewhere I can download it?
Hi,

As dmazurek said it should be in your pro tools utilities folder!

if not here it is... http://www.sendspace.com/pro/rqi89m

chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 AM

I downloaded the digitest but it won't run. Just says it unexpectedly quit. I did not have it the pro tools utilities folder. I even did a search for it.

Edit: I found a version that runs on my computer. It's testing now I'll let you guys now.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 AM

Time to reinstall PT. Digitest will be put back where it belongs by the installer.