Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2013, 11:19 AM

Default spdif Output to DAC/Headphone Amp?

I assume this is possible, but I can't make it work. I want to output my 11R to a stand alone dac, then run that signal into a dedicated headphone amp. Seems like it should be easy, but I'm not having any success.

So, using the 11R as a standalone source (not connected to my computer), I plug my guitar into the 'Guitar Input', connect a coax spdif cable to the 'Output" on the back of the 11R, set the 'User Options' for 'Digital Output' to 'Rig Outputs', connect the spdif cable to my dac then to my headphone amp, think I'm done. No signal through my dac.

Am I missing something? This same setup works just fine using my M-Audio FireWire Solo as the guitar input (connected to the computer and using S-Gear). Are there other settings I need to make on the 11R?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 PM

Default Re: spdif Output to DAC/Headphone Amp?

This is from the 11r manual. Could be why you're not hearing anything.

If you get no signal or a compromised signal, double check that Pro Tools and your external device are set to the same sample rate and digital I/O format, and that Pro Tools is set to receive sync from the external device.

Fritz
Seagate 500GB GoFlex Pro 7200rpm Firewire 800 Ultra Portable Drive
Audient iD22 and Focusrite Pro 40 Interfaces
Focusrite Red 3 compressor
Lexicon 300
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Waves Gold Bundle • CLA Classic Compressors • Slate FG-X, VBC, VCC, VTM
Slate Trigger EX • Superior Drummer 2.0
Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
This is from the 11r manual. Could be why you're not hearing anything.

If you get no signal or a compromised signal, double check that Pro Tools and your external device are set to the same sample rate and digital I/O format, and that Pro Tools is set to receive sync from the external device.
Forgot to mention my 11r is connected to my Focusrite Saffire Pro40 (I use as my interface) via SPDIF. In order for the 11r to work I have to change the sync on the Pro40 from "internal" to "SPDIF"
Seagate 500GB GoFlex Pro 7200rpm Firewire 800 Ultra Portable Drive
Audient iD22 and Focusrite Pro 40 Interfaces
Focusrite Red 3 compressor
Lexicon 300
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Waves Gold Bundle • CLA Classic Compressors • Slate FG-X, VBC, VCC, VTM
Slate Trigger EX • Superior Drummer 2.0
Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 PM

The OP already said he is using the Eleven Rack stand alone mode so all this stuff is irrelevant.

----

To the OP... nothing helps get you help better than providing clear details. 99% chance here the problem is you have something simple just plugged in or configured wrong so we need to know exactly what is plugged into what and how etc. What exact make/model DAC are you using? What headphone amp? What is the Eleven rack clock rate set to, and what is the DAC clock rate set to? What status LEDs show up on your DAC? Does the headphone amp work if connected to the Eleven Rack Main XLR outputs? (you may need to us an XLR to RCA adapter cable).

Does anything work as expected? Does the Eleven Rack main output work as you expect to drive a pair of analog monitors.. and/or does your headphone work as expected on the front panel headphone output?

There is no digital connection on the rear of the Eleven Rack labeled 'Output' so what exact output connection are you using? I'm assuming your DAC has S/PDIF input over an RCA coaxial connector (if its an AES/EBU signal over an XLR connector let me know). You should have a 75 ohm RCA digital cable connected between the Eleven Rack "Digital I/O S/PDIF Out" red colored RCA connector and the S/PDIF input on your DAC (A short analog RCA analog cable should work but a 75 ohm digital cable is what you should be using). Try a different digital RCA cable, or doublecheck that this one work with your other interface.

If the DAC has an input selector make sure you have selected the appropriate S/PDIF input you have connected to. If the DAC also has analog/preamp RCA inputs make sure you have not accidentally connected to that instead of an S/PDIF input.

Make sure the USB cable between the computer and Eleven Rack is not connected.

In the User Settings....

Set Digital Output to Mirror Analog or Rig Output. (you are using Rig Output, which is fine).

Set the Clock Source to internal, 44.1k

Set the Digital Input to S/PDIF (I think, but am not sure, that is needed to set the digital output to S/PDIF, but can't hurt so do it).

The Eleven Rack will default to 48k. The DAC will default to 44.1 or might try to autodetect the data rate. Either of those may be the problem. Start trying with both the Eleven Rack and DAC manually set to 44.1 kHz if possible.

Darryl
Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 AM

Darryl - wow, thanks! Lots of stuff to check out, I'll start the process now and report back as I go. One thing you've confirmed, I "should" be able to make this work. Great!