Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Need a good ear! Please help.

Wow; thanks so much for the compliments on the track......

@ DrFord....... Since you've heard my original mix so many times already; I would love for you to checkout what my buddy did and compare the two? I finally got that second link back up:

My Mix:
http://zoobuzzmedia.com/another.mp3

His Mix:
http://zoobuzzmedia.com/freq/Frequencies.mp3
Old 11-11-2010, 02:02 PM

Loving your mix. Your friend is lightyears away from the quality your's expresses. I'd maybe just give the kick a little more basse. And maybe try and warm up your voice a tiny bit more before recording (but that's off topic). Excellent song and mix. That's all I've got to say!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:29 PM

I'm with the other guys.

The only thing i was struggling with was that the vocal appeared to be panned to the right, on headphones it's quite uncomfortable to listen to. Get that in the centre and warm the vocal and your not a million miles away.

Good luck
Old 11-11-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommydigiowen View Post
So I recorded a song and mixed it myself....... I was actually pretty happy with my own mix, but I decided to hand the source tracks over to a buddy that owns a LOT more equipment and has much more experience than I......

I listened to HIS final mix and I'm honestly not sure what to think....... Especially when the drums kick in...... Mine are so much more punchier.....

Personally; I like my mix better because its got a lot more on the lower end of things..... Perhaps I'm on crack and he mixed this thing perfect?

Thankyou.
The basic tracks are really quite good. Your mix has a lot more body to it, but I think it gets a little muddy about when the drums come in and I put a bit of 'sheen' on the vocal. Your buddy's mix has a couple of nice qualities, more depth, but he screwed up the low end and put some weird flange/phasing on your vocal. Doesn't work.
As you say, somewhere in between the two is where it needs to be. And as was mentioned, the vocal panned right drives me crazy also.
It'd be cool if you put the session files and audio tracks on dropbox and let some of us have a go at 'em.
I did that with some stuff with a guy from London and it was a ton of fun.

Oh, yeah, most importantly, it's a really, really good song. And if you don't have that, the mix ain't gonna fix nuttin'.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:29 PM

Newest Mix.....

How do I make these drums pop more without the over-kill..?

Jesus...... This mixing business is beyond a science...

T

http://www.zoobuzzmedia.com/freq/mike.mp3
Old 11-11-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFord View Post
colin,

Wassup bud?! Good to see you on here. You and I are on the same page.

Tommy,
Overall I think you really have a great piece, and everything we are saying are minor critiques, things that wouldn't matter if your overall wasn't at the level it was at.

Nerd513-
Yes, I am a Producer and Engineer, and all the songs on MySpace / www.drford.com were produced and recorded by myself, with the exception of the Romeo song, which was engineered by Riley Urick. I did songwriting and co-production on that, but was not present for the final vocal tracking and mixing sessions. To that extent, I actually think the mix is muddy, but what ya gunna do!!?!?!?!

Happy to help however I can, what are you thinking about Nerd513?

Doc
anything you could do im a starving artist and am basically self taught i went to college for audio production but honestly it was very basic information i got from that... I really dont know what kind hook up im asking for i just feel like i have an abundance of knowledge and nothing to do with it... so if u know anyone that needs a big brain and has a couple bucks to spend u could send em my way
Old 11-12-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
colin,

Wassup bud?! Good to see you on here. You and I are on the same page.
Hi, hi, hi! Still mentoring the jr. high kids. This year, instead of starting with composition, we started with recording, then using loops (most of the kids want to do hip-hop), then melodic composition. I think this is the best method yet.

Quote:
Tommy,
Overall I think you really have a great piece, and everything we are saying are minor critiques, things that wouldn't matter if your overall wasn't at the level it was at.

[snip...]
Doc
What he said.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommydigiowen View Post
Newest Mix.....

How do I make these drums pop more without the over-kill..?

Jesus...... This mixing business is beyond a science...

T

http://www.zoobuzzmedia.com/freq/mike.mp3
Now we're coming close to the pocket! I listened to your friend's mix and while it is louder overall, that's at the expense of dynamics and tonal clarity. The vocals (which sit just a little high in the mix for my taste) especially suffer (odd sibilances).* His mix is heavily limited, which can be cool for some kinds of music, but to my ears is over the top here.

Your new mix addresses a lot of the stuff we've been discussing, to great effect. Your mix has a greater dynamic range and some headroom for mastering if you decide to have someone master it for you (recommended).

I have more, but I'm getting late for school.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud