Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2017, 04:50 PM

Default Re: MIDI timing / recording delays with Delay Compensation

This quite old post saved me from almost throwing in the towel on migrating up to PT10 HD from PT9 HD, after hours and hours of getting my PT10 HD drive configured...

First had to wrestle with a super weird latency problem in PT10 where any session that was originally created in PT9, when I open it in 10, the ADC value on Aux tracks with Native plugs was exactly 132 samples off where it needed to be to compensate correctly, regardless of buffer size or total system delay. Would have required using the Time Adjuster plug on any parallel processing tracks. Ugh! Took a while to figure that out, then to figure out what to do about it (Import PT9 tracks into a new session in PT10, but DON'T import the Input or Outputs...) Annoying, but I guess if I have to...

Then I started working with a MIDI session in PT10 and all the MIDI tracks were off when ADC was enabled, getting further off as the total system delay went up. Instrument tracks were fine. Never had an issue in PT9. Arrggh! Google searches revealed nothing. Almost gave up, but then found this thread. I had actually looked at that checkbox - MIDI Delay Compensation for External Devices - which was checked, but figured, Why would I want to UN-check that? And I don't use external devices anyway.

Anyway, now it works. Doesn't make any sense. Why would UN-checking those boxes make internal MIDI suddenly compensate properly? But as long as it works...

Toying with the idea of taking the big plunge up to HDX and PT12. But really hoping that all these annoying little "anomalies" have been ironed out at this point...

Thanks for helping out!
Old 04-04-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
. . . Then I started working with a MIDI session in PT10 and all the MIDI tracks were off when ADC was enabled, getting further off as the total system delay went up. Instrument tracks were fine. . .

Anyway, now it works. . .
Would I be correct to assume you installed 10.3.10? And that this "work-around" still applies?
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 04-04-2017, 09:31 AM

Yup, 10.3.10
Old 03-08-2020, 06:12 AM

I was experiencing a bad situation where I had only two tracks and the timing was off between the two. Both tracks were midi instrument tracks (not midi feeding an instrument track, just an "Instrument" track.

Track one I recorded with a click, Arturia Vox Continental keyboard (old 1960s style pop electric suitcase organ). I'm not a very good player so I quantized this to 16th notes after playing.

Track two fired up BFD3 drums and looked for a track that would fit. I tried many presets and I couldn't find one that fit the rhythm. I expanded the midi track of the Vox organ rather large and ever down to a 1/64 grid size to make sure everything looked ok on the screen. Next I slowed the track down to quarter speed so I could hear what was off exactly. It sounded at that speed that the drums were lagging the VOX slightly. I quantized the groove track in BFD3 to get rid of any natural feel and it still was off. Finally, I selected all the midi notes in BFD3 and moved them ahead 1/64th of a beat. Now everything lined up.

Needless to say this was horrible, considering I would have to do this for every groove, and in BFD, nothing gets thrown away, so if you move 164th ahead, any intro beats end up moving from the first beat of the groove to the LAST beat and then you have to figure out what you're going to do with THAT.

This search yielded the culprit. I did not have delay compensation ON and when I put it on, everything magically lined. I'm not even sure at this point why it was set off or what every science would justify ever doing so, but there is enough in this thread for some serious study.

Thank you everyone who contributed and thank you DUC for once again saving my A**!!!!
Fred