Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-04-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Norton Disk Doctor... to load or not to load

I've been reading a number of posts saying DO NOT install Norton on a PT system, just run it off the disk. I've had Norton on every computer I've ever run PT on for the last 5 years and I don't think I've ever had a problem with it (I'm NOT talking about Speed Disk here, just Disk Doctor). Actually, I recently installed it on my G4 DP1.25 and after running it often (as well as Disk Warrior) my system has become more stable than it's ever been.

So, if anyone out there can give me a compelling reason, I'll dump it!

Thanks!

Digidesign Hardware: Mbox
Digidesign Software: Pro Tools LE
Version: 6.2.3
Computer model and speed: G4 FW800 1.25DP
Amount of RAM installed: 1750 MB
Operating System: 10.3.3
Old 04-04-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Norton Disk Doctor... to load or not to load

Compelling reasons? How about ... inability to start up the computer ... directory damage ... corrupted or missing files ... a system utility that overwrites its own info over the data it's supposed to be preserving ...

Do a search of any Mac troubleshooting site and you'll find tons of reports from people who regret the day they ever heard of Norton Utilities. I've seldom seen comments on a piece of software as consistently negative as the ones that Norton has gotten since they first released an OS X version. I'm happy for you that you've never had problems with it, but if I were you I wouldn't push my luck. But that's just me.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:42 PM

This is rather like being asked for a compelling reason why you shouldn't speed. You've never gotten a ticket? You've never had an accident? You can't understand why there's a speed limit anyway?

Personally, I'll avoid disk utilities like Norton at all costs. I've built tons of systems for people. The ones who take my advise and avoid those utilities have stable systems. If they have a problem, normal troubleshooting can be done to find out what's going on and fix it. Easy. Some people insist on having them. In those cases, the problems are A LOT more frequent and MUCH harder to troubleshoot.

But if YOU'VE never had a problem and you're SURE you're not going to, then stick with what you've got. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2004, 04:00 PM

OK, OK, OK!!

You've been compelling and I've been compelled! I'll dump it and consider myself lucky!!

Thanks All
Old 04-04-2004, 10:56 PM

Whats the best way to make sure you have gotten rid of all of the Norton bits and pieces off your machine?
Old 04-04-2004, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Whats the best way to make sure you have gotten rid of all of the Norton bits and pieces off your machine?
complete reinstall of the system.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:01 AM

I agree, don't install it, but it isn't as horrible as everyone will have you believe.

I just used Norton Disk Doctor to repair a severely screwed up hard drive (all kinds of B-Tree problems and VBH corruption). It did the job like a champ (when run from the CD). In case of emergency it can be a life saver. Disk 10 was unable to repair the disk and booting into single user mode and trying fsck -y -f just caused the whole drive to go south. (For the record, I fsck'ed first then Drive 10, then Norton).

I don't recommend it as a general maintenance routine (that's what fsck is for). But in a severe emergency it can be a godsend.

Always err on the side of perfection.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I don't recommend it as a general maintenance routine (that's what fsck is for). But in a severe emergency it can be a godsend.
Yeah, if you've already got the CD, keep it in case of an emergency. But if problems arise and you do decide to try using Norton to fix it, be very sure that it's the latest version that's compatible with your system software.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Personally, I'll avoid disk utilities like Norton at all costs. I've built tons of systems for people. The ones who take my advise and avoid those utilities have stable systems. If they have a problem, normal troubleshooting can be done to find out what's going on and fix it. Easy. Some people insist on having them. In those cases, the problems are A LOT more frequent and MUCH harder to troubleshoot.

I've been working at an Apple Dealer for eight years, and I was the Mac Midi Music guy.

You are totally right. We had the chance to see lots of different machines, setups and PT. The only way to go is to resist installing lots of utilities when you have no problem. Ask before anything else. Make your system clean, with the applications you really need. Nothing more.

Then you'll have a pretty stable system.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:58 AM

At the beginning of the book "ProTools Power"(2002), the authors state:

"...we find Norton System Works(Norton Utilities) so useful for maintaining a Pro Tools rig (especially Disk Doctor and Speed Disk, which we use at least once a week), that it should come taped to the outside of the Pro Tools box!"

However at the end of the book, under "Things that make Pro Tools get Cranky"...#10 is (wait for it) Norton "File Saver".!!!!

I found INSTALLING Norton System Works to be a problem with Pro Tools... but I have used "Disk Doctor" and "Speed Disk" (running from the Norton disk) for the last couple of years(PTLE 5. & PTLE 6.x) without any problems (that I know of)
The question is, If one should avoid Norton System works, How should I defrag my audio drive?Although I've read that defragging is no longer required, I have seen the error message stating the 'disk is too fragmented" to continue(and defragging corrected the problem). I've also found that even after running Mac disk utility, Norton Disk Doctor still detects numerous "problems" that they suggest to repair.

suggestions?

OSX.3.2
PTLE 6.2.3
G5 dual 1.8
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb