Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 03-20-2019, 09:22 AM

Default Trying to transfer license with colleague

So I was just told by Avid, that once you upgrade you loose ownership of all the previous versions and licenses you purchased, is this true?

I'm on PTLE trying to get to PT9 in order to upgrade the studio's convertors and get away from a Digi002, a colleague who is on PT12.3 I believe has PT9 in their avid account, but Avid says they can't transfer license to me because they don't own the license for 9 anymore.

I've been with PT since Digidesign days, all I want to do is get to PT9 and they can't/won't help me do that. We're on an old cheese grater MacPro with all bays full of harddrives, plugs, etc. we're stuck at OS 10.6.8 we can't go any higher without upgrading/replacing everything.

The only suggestion they could offer us is to find a private individual with a PT9 license they wanted to sell. Can't imagine there are any out there if you loose them when/if you upgrade?

Appreciate any help.
-P
Old 03-20-2019, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Trying to transfer license with colleague

Avid support *are* trying to help you. You need to listen to them and maybe do what they suggest.

Going on EBay or similar and buying a PT9 license either via a transfer of ownership or worst case just buy on a physical iLok is certainly an option.

What is showing up in an Avid Account does not matter, what licenses anybody has should be very clear from their iLok account license listing. If they have a license in their iLok account then you can transfer it, if they don’t then they don’t have a license it is that simple. What exactly does ILM show is on the iLok or in the iLok account?

The need to surrender a license when you upgrade Pro Tools is well described by Avid and you can find more info by searching online.

Avid has been very nice and provided Pro Tools bundled licenses that include Pro Tools 10 that have helped lots of people with compatibility issues. I do not understand why you would not want to be on Pro Tools 10 here. And that is easily solvable by buying a bundled license with PT10... but check with your dealer to make sure that Pro Tools 10 version is in the bundle. Call Sweetwater or Vintage King sales and you should be able to talk to somebody who can explain all this to you.

If people have previously upgraded Pro Tools they may well have a bundled license that includes PT10 (what exactly shows up on their iLok?), but you cannot separate those licenses, you can use the bundle on an iLok to authorize Pro Tools 10.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-20-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Trying to transfer license with colleague

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio-gak View Post
Seems you are confused as well regarding licenses. Once you upgrade, you surrender all previous licenses you purchased. If you purchased a bundled 9/10, then upgraded to 11, you loose ownership of 9/10 and cannot transfer, sell, etc. that license for 9/10. There is only one license on a ilok, the one your using according to Avid, unless different platforms ie: HD, and regular on same ilok.
No. Darryl is correct and you seem to be confused. In order to get a discount to UPGRADE a license, you must surrender your old license. If you wanted to buy a new license instead of getting a discounted price on a license, you can have both licenses separate. When Avid gives you a discounted price, you give up your old license (and it becomes part of the unseparable new license bundle.)

Like any company, they don't just give you a new license with a cheaper upgrade cost so you can continue using your old license or selling it to someone else. This is not something new in the software world (or even hardware world.) You can't trade in your old car to reduce the price on a new car and still keep your old car. Your colleague has a surrendered license which is why you can't have it -- they got a discount in purchasing their upgrade in exchange for doing so.

So, yes, living in the dark ages as you are, you will need to find someone with a PT9 license to buy since you want to run that. Darryl pointed out that PT10 will run on the same platforms as 9 (it was before the big conversion to 11 which requires new hardware).

Avid was being helpful in pointing this out too. And like every other software company, they don't sell old software once they moved to newer versions. Ebay used to have a lot of old Pro Tools 9/10 licenses floating around.