Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 02-20-2019, 09:43 AM

Default changing sample rate or clock source on MTRX popping monitors

Has anyone else experienced this? Even with the control room monitors cut and volume pulled down to -100%, my monitors are popping when I change the sample rate or clock source in DADman.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 02-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Avid

Default Re: changing sample rate or clock source on MTRX popping monitors

Greetings,

What do you have your Adapt To set to for your particular clock choice?

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 02-20-2019, 10:38 AM

Hi Jeff,

Small correction, it's when I change sample rate (when Adapt To is set to "internal") or when I change the Adapt To setting that it pops my monitors (say from internal to Dante or MADI).

Thanks,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings,

What do you have your Adapt To set to for your particular clock choice?

best,

Jeff
Old 02-20-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaz View Post
Has anyone else experienced this? Even with the control room monitors cut and volume pulled down to -100%, my monitors are popping when I change the sample rate or clock source in DADman.

Thanks,

Jeff
I do not have this issue, if that helps for comparison.

All digital will pop when changing sample rates but cutting the monitors doesn't pass the pop to to the speakers. Cut is a complete mute.

However, I'm curious what your monitors are. Are they hooked by digital/AES? In which case the sample rate change will effect them (because your monitors will be asynchronously re-clocking too.) That would be expected unless your monitors have a function to automute when reclocking.

Mine are connected via analogue, for reference.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Good call, ours are being fed by a madi D->A and then analog from that device to the monitors. I'm used to digital converters muting their outputs when they lose clock. I'll see if there's a setting on them to get them to mute instead of pop.

Thanks!

-Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I do not have this issue, if that helps for comparison.

All digital will pop when changing sample rates but cutting the monitors doesn't pass the pop to to the speakers. Cut is a complete mute.

However, I'm curious what your monitors are. Are they hooked by digital/AES? In which case the sample rate change will effect them (because your monitors will be asynchronously re-clocking too.) That would be expected unless your monitors have a function to automute when reclocking.

Mine are connected via analogue, for reference.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:23 AM

Just in case anyone else runs into this issue, we have a DirectOut Technologies Andiamo MADI da/ad. Changing it to clock off of the wordclock input rather than MADI fixed the issue, no more popping of the monitors when switching sample rates!
Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM
Avid

Thanks for the update!

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 03-20-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaz View Post
Just in case anyone else runs into this issue, we have a DirectOut Technologies Andiamo MADI da/ad. Changing it to clock off of the wordclock input rather than MADI fixed the issue, no more popping of the monitors when switching sample rates!
Actually, further update, I only thought that fixed the issue but found out that it didn't. It wasn't until recently that I've had a chance to dig into this issue further and I've been both in contact with Avid and Directout Technologies.

In the end, I'm advising everyone I know to stay away from the DirectOut Technologies Andiamo Madi DA/AD. There's no workaround other than powering off monitor speakers before changing samplerate or simply replacing these units with another brand that won't pop their outputs when changing samplerate.

-Jeff
Old 03-20-2019, 12:57 PM

You haven't specified what speakers you are using, but other than the annoyance of the pop, those pops should do no damage to your speakers. You can check with the speaker manufacturer, but those re-clocking pops aren't DIRAC spikes or full scale signal and speakers can handle those easily without damage.

I honestly don't know a standalone DA converter that mutes when reclocking. The only ones that handle that easily tend to be ones that SRC any input (so they aren't actually reclocking but just resampling the digital signal on the way to the speakers.) I know a few makers who have that.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
...I honestly don't know a standalone DA converter that mutes when reclocking....

Which doesn't mean it's not a good idea... ;-)

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6