Old 03-17-2019, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Drum VIs? Loops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I do pretty much what Dave does except for two things:
I generally don't detune the drums
Instead of a room reverb I'll use a plate of some type

btw I use BFD3

My mantra for vi drums has always been to treat them as I would a real physical drum kit - except I don't have to pay the drummer
Out of curiousity, was there a big reason for going with BFD3 over some of the others, or just a random landing spot?

Treating like I would as if they were tracks from a real drummer is what I try to do, too. However, I often get exported tracks that resemble ones that have had another mix engineer heavily treat as part of a rough-mix before sending it off to a mix engineer. Alternatively, I'll get into some sort of patch that sends some out of the ordinary information to the various output channels. eg - a recent effort had minimal information in the kick and snare tracks with tons of information in the OH and Ambient mics. The overall sound was a nice, big kick and snare that did not have enough information in the kick and snare tracks to even send to my own room or reverb plug. Oddities like this are not rare.

Another thing that isn't rare is finding an out of phase track, or having the original Mono track's panning not transfer all that well to the mandatory built-in mixers Stereo output. Makes that delay between the close snare and the rest of the signal in the OH sound very strange on many fronts.

I guess in some aspects the mixing is very real. Something is gonna have to happen - reality based or not.

Last edited by PatriotsBiker; 03-17-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Out of curiousity, was there a big reason for going with BFD3 over some of the others, or just a random landing spot?
Why BFD3? I started with Steinberg Groove Agent on my old Windows/Sonar system and when I wanted real drums went to the original BFD. Then BFD2 followed by BFD3 when I went to a Mac and PT. Another reason for BFD was they were the only ones at the time (and still are for the most part) that had DW drums. I love DW drums. Yeah I know EW's ProDrummer has some DW pieces but not enough for a full kit. One more reason why BFD3 - Sabian cymbals in an expansion pack. they consistently give me a sound I can work with moreseo than Zildjians.

History lesson:
Sabian cymbals while made in Canada happened because of a split in the Zildjian family. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabian

QAPLA!
Old 03-30-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Why BFD3? I started with Steinberg Groove Agent on my old Windows/Sonar system and when I wanted real drums went to the original BFD. Then BFD2 followed by BFD3 when I went to a Mac and PT. Another reason for BFD was they were the only ones at the time (and still are for the most part) that had DW drums. I love DW drums. Yeah I know EW's ProDrummer has some DW pieces but not enough for a full kit. One more reason why BFD3 - Sabian cymbals in an expansion pack. they consistently give me a sound I can work with moreseo than Zildjians.

History lesson:
Sabian cymbals while made in Canada happened because of a split in the Zildjian family. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabian
I've never narrowed down favored brand names of cymbals before, not to mention drums (toms, kicks or snares). I went onto the BFD site and poked around some of the kits and 3rd party expansions. Sure enough, lots of nice Sabian sounds. I'm going to give that platform serious consideration after I get over the expense of everything else I've done to my home project studio this past 4 months.