Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-19-2019, 06:43 AM

Default MAC MINI adapters for TB3 USB-3

Hi all

Im considering buying anew mac mini for Pro Tools use. After watching a few reviews using Pro Tools, it seems like a great machine for the money

Question is, I have allot of devices that are Firewire based, Like the Liquid Mix 56. and Studio drives.

The Mac Mini only have Thunderbolt over USB-C. IS there a way to adapt, or you think i may be looking at new interface and drives as well? Which Im seriously trying to avoid. The mini is expensive enough without have to upgrade everything.

I have the Liquid Saffire 56 and two external Glyph drives, all Firewire 800. I believe one of the glyph drives has usb3

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Old 03-19-2019, 09:47 AM

Default Re: MAC MINI adapters for TB3 USB-3

Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter then Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter, then FireWire 800 to 400 adapter if needed, or some Thunderbolt 3 docks provide a FireWire 800 port. The challenge is only ever software: Whatever interface you have you need to make sure it has driver support on the macOS version that your new Mac comes with (or in limited cases can be downgraded to).

With disk performance making up so much of the overall systems performance I would not be wanting to keep using slow old FireWire drives. For starters I would be recording to the very fast internal PCIe/NVMe SSD boot drive, if I needed an external sample or transfer drive I would be looking at the Samsung T5 USB 3.1/SATA SSD, or the faster Samsung X5 Thunderbolt 3/NVMe drive. The FireWire HDDs would become backup drives or trash.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-19-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:19 PM

TB to Pcie chassis add FW cards as needed.

I use TB2 to firewire 800 apple adaptors just fine.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:51 AM

Does the Liquid Saffire even have Mojave drivers?
Old 03-20-2019, 05:22 AM

Hey guys

thanks for the replies. I hear you on the hard drive situation. If I can get this hooked up and running, upgrading to SSD is the next stage.

I didn't think about the OS. a new Mac Can't be downgraded? Im currently on 10.13.6 with PT 2018 running REALLY well. But its on an old 2011 Mac Book pro. i tend to run out of horse power pretty quickly.

I understand PT 2019 will have support for Mojave not sure about the Liquid Saffire Liquid Mix app, and drivers Ill check that now

do you think there is a HUGE problem adapting from TB3 to 2 to firewire...sounds like a lot to me.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:30 AM

How many times do you need to hear this... the physical adapter is not the issue... there are multiple ways to skin that cat, and all should work. Software drivers are what you need to worry about... and then you may need to untangle what is officially supported vs. what may work vs. the risk that you won’t get support for future macOS upgrades (and you need to plan accordingly, being sure to disable automatic upgrades etc).

Macs models generally cannot be downgraded below the macOS/OS X version that model was first released with. That has been discussed many times on DUC in the past.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
How many times do you need to hear this... the physical adapter is not the issue... there are multiple ways to skin that cat, and all should work. Software drivers are what you need to worry about... and then you may need to untangle what is officially supported vs. what may work vs. the risk that you won’t get support for future macOS upgrades (and you need to plan accordingly, being sure to disable automatic upgrades etc).

Macs models generally cannot be downgraded below the macOS/OS X version that model was first released with. That has been discussed many times on DUC in the past.
Darryl is right.
I have the Mac mini 2018.
You cannot run High Sierra or earlier on it.

Budget for a new audio interface.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:53 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=liquid+saffire+56+mojave

Spoiler alert - it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=liquid+saffire+56+mojave

Spoiler alert - it works.

And then you may need to have Sardi untangle what is officially supported vs. what may work
Old 03-20-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And then you may need to have Sardi untangle what is officially supported vs. what may work

Hehehe...