Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 03-13-2018, 02:32 PM

Default PT 12.8.1 and Command 8 - stopped working?

Everything was working great, or so I thought. Came in to mix my latest project and my Command 8 quit working. I've tried everything, even went back and tried it on my old PC running PT 12 and it works just fine.

Interestingly, I cannot select "Port 1" for input to PT. I can select Port 1 for output to the C8, but for input to PT it only shows "Port 2", which from everything I've read is NOT the USB port, its the 1st MIDI port. Disconnecting literally everything on my system (Mac PRO 2013) and I can still only see Port 2 in all MIDI apps Including MIDI Tools.

In Audio/MIDI Setup it shows the little pic of the Command 8 and all 3 ports are listed there with port 1 showing both a MIDI In and an Out.

Its a little achedemic at this point because I've tried everything and ordered a new FaderPort16 as a replacement.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do w/ PT. If other MIDI apps dont see Port 1, it has to be my Mac, and knowing how to fix it would be awesome. Esp for a diehard PC\hardware guy who is now in love with BOTH my Macs, even though sometimes they cause me grief just because they are way too simple and I don't get to reboot all the time in the middle of recording sessions!

Jeff
Old 03-13-2018, 08:13 PM

Default Re: PT 12.8.1 and Command 8 - stopped working?

Trash prefs and try again
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:17 PM

Mac Prefs? How? I dont think this is a PT issue.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmonger View Post
In Audio/MIDI Setup it shows the little pic of the Command 8 and all 3 ports are listed there with port 1 showing both a MIDI In and an Out.

Sorry I thought I read it was academic, I must have misunderstood.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Its a little achedemic at this point because I've tried everything and ordered a new FaderPort16 as a replacement.

Jeff
So how's that FaderPort working out for you?
Old 06-12-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI View Post
So how's that FaderPort working out for you?
I'd also like to know how the faderport is working for you
Old 03-14-2019, 12:45 PM

Ugh. This same thing just happened to me. Under MIDI interfaces, where I normally select Command 8, Receive Port 1, Send Port 1, 8 channels it offers nothing under Receive, but still has Send options. Helllllp!

Quote:
Everything was working great, or so I thought. Came in to mix my latest project and my Command 8 quit working. I've tried everything, even went back and tried it on my old PC running PT 12 and it works just fine.

Interestingly, I cannot select "Port 1" for input to PT. I can select Port 1 for output to the C8, but for input to PT it only shows "Port 2", which from everything I've read is NOT the USB port, its the 1st MIDI port. Disconnecting literally everything on my system (Mac PRO 2013) and I can still only see Port 2 in all MIDI apps Including MIDI Tools.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do w/ PT. If other MIDI apps dont see Port 1, it has to be my Mac, and knowing how to fix it would be awesome. Esp for a diehard PC\hardware guy who is now in love with BOTH my Macs, even though sometimes they cause me grief just because they are way too simple and I don't get to reboot all the time in the middle of recording sessions!

Jeff
Old 03-14-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Trash prefs and try again
Hey! This worked! I got my Command 8 back.

Here's how to trash Preferences on a Mac:

Open a finder window, and click the Go menu. Hold down the Option key and Library appears as a selection.

Under Library go to Preferences.

Delete the following files: com.digidesign.ProTools.plist
com.digidesign.ProTools.plist.lockfile ( I didn't have this.)
DAE Prefs folder
DigiSetup.OSX. Pro Tools Prefs

Restart Protools and Go to Set Up, Peripherals, and the third tab is Midi Controllers. Use the Pull Down menus to select:
Command 8, Receive Port 1, Send Port 1, 8 channels

Thanks, Guys n Gals!