Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-03-2017, 04:37 PM

Default ilok issues, I hate ilok

my old ilok 2 was damaged, so I jumped thru the hoops, paid $50 and now trying to figure out how to use my license with the new ilok. I kinda suck at this stuff, I'm old school (sorry). I went to the ilok site and it looked like I download the license manager which I did...it was in a zipped file. Now it says I need to download a utility to open the file, and that costs $25. Really?? Am I missing something or are they really going to gouge me for another $25? I try to right click and open and it takes me to s site to pay 25.

any help much appreciated!!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:37 PM

Default Re: ilok issues, I hate ilok

There are numerous free to use decompression utilities out on the interwebs. Not sure, but I thought most modern OSs could decompress natively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-15-2017, 05:04 PM

Hello JeffGT,

I don't know which OS you're talking about but if it's anything this decade (well, almost) it will decompress a zip natively.

MacOS - double click, it will decompress and create a folder of files.

Win XP,7,8,10 - right click, choose decompress (or whatever it says). It will create a folder of files.

I'm slightly concerned that you're getting some kind of message saying you need to pay $25 for some utility that jumps up when you right click. Those exist and are sometimes usable, but why are you getting that message? From whom? That should not happen. Just my rambling questions.

You mention you're old school and are not familiar with this iLok authorization process. Complicated by the fact that you're dealing with an iLok failure/replacement. For your benefit and to bring your chances of success from null to slim, please research the iLok site and look on Youtube for information and videos on how to authorize iLok licenses. iLok is a necessary evil and we all use it, I actually like the flexibility since we have so many workstations, but I can assure you it's not in any way intuitive to authorize a license. And if you mess up and somehow iLok loses or revokes your license, a common enough occurrence, their support historically has been just this side of nonexistent. This coming from someone who likes the iLok concept.

Good luck,
Hugh
Old 03-15-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-H View Post
Hello JeffGT,

I don't know which OS you're talking about but if it's anything this decade (well, almost) it will decompress a zip natively.

MacOS - double click, it will decompress and create a folder of files.

Win XP,7,8,10 - right click, choose decompress (or whatever it says). It will create a folder of files.

I'm slightly concerned that you're getting some kind of message saying you need to pay $25 for some utility that jumps up when you right click. Those exist and are sometimes usable, but why are you getting that message? From whom? That should not happen. Just my rambling questions.

You mention you're old school and are not familiar with this iLok authorization process. Complicated by the fact that you're dealing with an iLok failure/replacement. For your benefit and to bring your chances of success from null to slim, please research the iLok site and look on Youtube for information and videos on how to authorize iLok licenses. iLok is a necessary evil and we all use it, I actually like the flexibility since we have so many workstations, but I can assure you it's not in any way intuitive to authorize a license. And if you mess up and somehow iLok loses or revokes your license, a common enough occurrence, their support historically has been just this side of nonexistent. This coming from someone who likes the iLok concept.

Good luck,

Hugh

The zero down time made getting my broken ilok replaced a breeze. I had an extra ilok when my first one froze; cashed in my ZDT and was immediately back up running - they shipped a new ilok and I got my permanent licenses installed straight away. Easiest thing I’ve done on my computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 03-16-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryser View Post
The zero down time made getting my broken ilok replaced a breeze. I had an extra ilok when my first one froze; cashed in my ZDT and was immediately back up running - they shipped a new ilok and I got my permanent licenses installed straight away. Easiest thing I’ve done on my computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Something to keep in mind that if you have a spare iLok it has to have it's own ZDT coverage. For instance if you have to use ZDT on your regular iLok that coverage does not/is not transferred to the other iLok.

QAPLA!
Old 03-16-2019, 04:51 PM

ZDT with TLC really takes the worry out of all of this.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com