Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 09-28-2020, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Manual Delay Comp Problem

I'm on Pro Tools 10 but just looked into 2020.9 reference guide. Could not see any changes. Only hardware insert delay can be set but that's not what this thread is about.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:31 AM

So please enlighten me then, what is the problem? If you have a CA or ASIO interface that reports latency to PT which compensates... if you have Avid interface that is compensated automatically... If you have 3rd party box you can set manual offset.. What am I missing here?
Old 09-28-2020, 09:47 AM

When setting „ Compensate for (input/output) Delays After Record Pass” Pro Tools cannot do this correctly as long as it does not know how many samples external converters need for conversion.
This only works when using the 192 I/O for AD- and DA-conversion because Pro Tools knows the time the 192 I/O needs. But when using external converters connected via AES or ADAT to the 192 I/O your clips will be wrong placed in timeline according to my example a few posts before.

For native: The ASIO/Core-Audio driver tells Pro Tools its conversion latency only for AD-DA conversion done by the audio interface. But most interfaces have also ADAT or AES (like the 192 I/O) to connect to external converters and the driver has now idea about how long they need for conversion.

you say: If you have 3rd party box you can set manual offset
where? I also have RME USB-Interface and the driver tells correct latency. So RME DA recorded to AD is perfectly aligned it timeline with the source. But wrong when input is ADAT through external converter and more wrong if output is also ADAT with external converter.

In every case you end up with clips placed wrong in timeline and I’m pretty sure this is also the case with the most recent hardware like MTRX if you use AD-DA cards together with AES external converters. Please test it!
Old 09-28-2020, 09:54 AM

Well, PT can only compensate for know things like Avid's interfaces and the user input of additional compensation. If you need to use external AD/DA conversion you need to put in that compensation value manually (and it may be different per sampling rate).
Old 09-28-2020, 10:01 AM

Well, I don’t blame Avid for not knowing things they cannot know. I can measure it and tell it but where???

If you think about the manual compensation value that can be set in the mixer on every channel, I have to tell you that this does not work. It makes it possible to listen to your first take phase accurate (while first take clips are still placed wrong in timeline) but your overdub will be late by the highest value you add in one of those track delays.