Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2003, 10:22 AM

Default Any suggestions for drum loops for PT?

I am a songwriter working with a PowerBook G4 with an MBox, using PT LE 6.0. I am researching the best modes for creating/modifying drum loops for the creation of demos. Are there any particular plugins/software or CD sets that have much variety in rhythm styles/tones, and can be manipulated to varying tempos? Which options are easiest and most effective with PT?

Thanks!
Doug Plank ([email protected])
Old 06-10-2003, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Any suggestions for drum loops for PT?

hey plank

I worked with loops for a long time, doing my own cuts and the occasional remix. but i usually just used them for inspiration, only. i never used a plain loop unless it was like a bass kick loop. i always chop it up, modify it, or simulate the loop and play it myself with my own gear and try to re-create it.

but while there is no real set of loops for pro tools exclusively, editing loops in pro tools 6 is a breeze, especially for the LE users (like myself) with the new TCE tool. I love it.

A good place to start for loops would be sonic foundry. (www.sonicfoundry.com) They have cd after cd of loops, and pretty cheap. they offer anything you could think of.

here at digidesign, they offer the loops and sound FX section in the DiSK section. some are free, but you have to pay for almost anything (cheap though).

A good tip on looping. If you really want the best loop mixing environment, sonic foundry's ACID is the best, by far. I hear that final cut pro just released the video editing software with a bundled program very similar to ACID, but acid was the leader in looping and chopping software. Just like you trust digidesign with recording and mixing software, you should trust acid for looping, etc.

And importing each [pre-processed] loop into protools is a snap, where you can mix it all down there. But I'f you're incorporating recorded audio with the loops, you may want to do it all in pro tools.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

- Andy [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2003, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Any suggestions for drum loops for PT?

Hi!,

If you are looking for some killer drum loops go to Sonic Stop. They have a few different types of collections depending on what style of music you create. If you are looking for rock loops check out Brian Delaney "Drum Necessities". Each title includes acidized .wav, REX2 and reason refills.
All of our CDs are $35.00 (shipping Included)

Hope this helps.