Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-30-2007, 05:17 PM

Default How do I copy and paste audio files?

Hi everyone my name is Luis, I am very new to protools but really want to learn as much as possible, just installed the program to my new mac and started to record and start sessions, I just have a question and I apologize if this has already been addressed on the board, I am new so please bare with me if that is the case. I just need to know how I can copy and paste audio waves in a session to another area? On cubase it was very simple I would just right click--> press copy and then paste the piece wherever I wanted but protools is more complicated and I just can't seem to find the function where I can paste, I've found the copy button but when I click on another area to paste the wave file the paste option is no longer lit up indicating it isn't capable of pasting. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong and how I can do this right. Thanks ahead of time ;-)
Old 06-30-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: How do I copy and paste audio files?

it works exactly the same as the copy/paste function in every other program. Select what you want, copy. Put the cursor where you want it, paste. Both of those functions (copy/paste) are found under the edit menu. If that's not working for you, you're going to have to provide more information about what you're trying to do before anybody can help you.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:50 AM

Hi Luis,

warm welcome...

If you wanna learn lots of stuff quickly may I suggest the following:

1) Let the PT manual be the last you see before closing your eyes at night )) (Makes you sleep fast too)
2) Invest a few buck in cool PT videos (They can show you a lot of great editing/Mixing tips that you would not even think of
reading the manual
3) Kenny Gioia has made a video portraying his workflow which is probably the best $40 dollars you could spend momentarily, here's the link Kenny Gioia's Videos
Old 07-01-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
press copy and then paste the piece wherever I wanted but protools is more complicated and I just can't seem to find the function where I can paste, I've found the copy button but when I click on another area to paste the wave file the paste option is no longer lit up indicating it isn't capable of pasting. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong and how I can do this right. Thanks ahead of time ;-)
Could be a couple of things.
Are you using the PT keyboard?
Do you wish to be in Commands Focus Mode? (that is the mode where you can use single stroke key commands)
Is the "A-Z" box selected in the Edit window?

Second thing could be if you are trying to paste a mono region to a stereo track or vise-versa.

And, what 25ghosts said.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:22 AM

Thank you all so much, I just figired it out, it was nothing compliacated I just wasn't higlighting the area I wanted pasted corectly thanks again for the response.