Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2002, 10:33 AM

Default PT III hard drive recommendations?

We have a PT III PCI system (v4.2), and the original 4GB narrow-SCSI audio drive died. Tried replacing it with a brand-new Glyph 18GB narrow - Seagate Barracuda - with no luck - intitialized with FWB v2.5, <2GB partitions, etc. Mt. Digi control panel sees the drive but it absolutely will not mount to the desktop.

So, called Digi Tech Support and was told that they cannot guarantee newer drive compatibility with this older system. They suggested I post a message here on the DUC to see which newer drives - model number and firmware version - any of you PT III users are using with success. So - any suggestions???

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 06-18-2002, 08:06 PM

Default Re: PT III hard drive recommendations?

Have you tried initializing/formating it with the apple drive setup? (remember to format it as hfs standard, not extended)
Old 06-19-2002, 07:34 AM

I had problems with finding drives for my PT III system aswell and I can list you the drives that I can run successfully:
Quantum XP34550S 4.23 GB
Compaq DDRS-39130W 8.48 GB
Seagate ST39175LW 8.48 GB
Seagate ST39173W 8.48 GB

I did NOT get to work an IBM Ultrastar DMVS 9 gig drive. I spent a lot of time trying to get that drive to work but it even didn't show up at Mt.digi
If Mt. Digi sees your drive then I am 90% sure that there is a way to get your drive to work. Try all the different jumper settings on your drive. I remember having the same problem with some of my drives but as they are working now for more than a year I have forgotten what I did to make them to mount correctly. I remember I needed to increase the scan time of Mt. Digi for some drives a lot. Also I needed to put a jumper for the drives to "auto start" or "auto run" or "enable auto spin" or something like that.
Oh, and use ATTO ExpressPro-Tools utility to format/initialise and you don't need to make 2 GB partitions my 9 gig drives are working fine as they are!
I hope some of this helps.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:51 AM

Yep, tried the Apple Drive Setup utility with HFS standard, etc. Also made sure to use HFS standard with FWB. Still no luck. Tech Support said the bottom line was that using any drive not on their old compatiblilty list was a crap shoot - may or may not work.

So, my options are to track down an older used drive from the compatiblity list, or find a new model drive that someone else is using with success. Any suggestions on used drive vendors?
Old 06-19-2002, 08:03 AM

Digidesigner,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try ATTO and check the jumper settings - will let you know.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:03 PM

Well, I tried ATTO - didn't work. Couldn't open up the drive case to check the jumpers as doing so would invalidate Glyph's warranty.

So I gave up and sourced an old 4GB Seagate from a friend - model ST34501W. Hooked up the adapter cables formated with FWB, and voila - system works again.

Thanks again for the help, guys.