Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 08:56 AM

Default Auto-Tune 3 PT 7??

Anybody know if auto tune 3 works in pt 7
i don't wanna goto ver 4 if i don't have to. hardly ever use the plug but need to know before i update.
thanks in advance.

zeeman
Lynx Aurora 16n Thunderbolt
Old 01-13-2006, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Auto-Tune 3 PT 7??

HI,

I just posted about this the other day. Autotune 3 crashes Pro Tools 7 and 7.1 everytime for me.
I called Antares about this and tried all their suggestions, but it still doesn't work. Version 4 does, however. I have not upgraded yet, but I am weighing the option of Waves' Tune or AT 4. I haven't decided yet. (9 days left on the demo of AT 4)

Stephen
www.myspace.com/star69trio
Thermal Productions
Philadelphia/S. Jersey
856-629-5282
Old 01-13-2006, 09:51 AM

thanks Stephen for the update
that's what i needed to know.

zeeman
Lynx Aurora 16n Thunderbolt
Old 01-13-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I have not upgraded yet, but I am weighing the option of Waves' Tune or AT 4. I haven't decided yet. (9 days left on the demo of AT 4)
AT4 and Tune are very different animals.

AT4 latency is approx 2 samples. It is a true TDM plug and uses TDM dsp.

Tune is a "native" plug (rtas) and its latency is in the 3000 sample range + rtas buffer. You're not going to use Tune in real time, or pseudo real-time.

I own both -- and I really love the workflow of Tune (in fact, I prefer it to AT) -- however, tuning becomes a task, and you dedicate your workflow to tuning, then when you're done tuning, you move on.

I'm more likely to use AT for spot correction of a few events, and keep it in bypass (using automation) except for the events that need correction. I'm more likely to use Tune when I want to go in on a track and do surgery.

For Linda Eder, I'll use AT4 on 1 or 2 notes on an album. For other singers (who will kill me if I name them here), I'll live inside Tune a few days and manufacture a better performance.

It's all about workflow and sound.

There are some phrases that Tune does not fix as well as AT (and vice versa).

I am happy that I have both... if you have to pick one, it all depends on how much tuning you do... Tune sounds great and is very flexible and very powerful. Not that AT4 is not, but it's a different way of working.

Tune is my go-to plug. In spite of its limitations (no tempo changes or conductor track for now). I still use AT4 for some applications...

Sorry I can't give you a definitive "this one is better" -- if I only could buy one, and you didn't mind the workflow approach of the high-latency Tune, then that's where I'd go. If latency is going to be an issue (don't even think of mixing without delay comp or manually time-shifting your track), then AT4 is a no-brainer, since it's not a factor.

I spoke with an Antares rep after AES and he told me they were working on an upgrade to AT4 for the future... I expect the competing companies to leapfrog each other with features and specs every so often. Competition is good for the end user.