How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 06-06-2018, 07:24 AM

Default Re: macOS 10.14 Mojave and “cheese grater” Mac Pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
This is going to seem like a stupid question but I need some clarification. When you say 'no picture' what exactly does that mean? When I start my 2012 cheesegrater with Samsung monitor the screen sometimes stays blank (black) after the pong sound and about 15 seconds later I get a usable desktop. Other times after getting the pong sound I'll get a grey screen and a loading progress bar and again 15 seconds after the pong I have a usable desktop. HD5770 video card. I'm okay with not seeing anything until I have a usable desktop.
That's the boot screen, which is supposed to be visible with an HD 5770 (assuming you have the stock card that came with your Mac Pro).

Unflashed PC cards won't display anything until the graphic drivers are fully loaded. Cards with a Mac BIOS allow you to see the grey boot screen and progress bar. Not seeing this could be an issue when you have to select a different startup disk on need to boot on single user mode, or recovery, because those things have to be done *during* the startup sequence. A PC card won't display anything until the startup sequence is finished.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbach View Post
When you say AMD 7950 or 7970, you mean the HD versions, correct?

I see there is an AMD 7970 GHz Edition in addition to the AMD HD 7970.
AFAIK, they're all "HD", whatever they mean by that

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbach View Post
Is the GHz Edition unnecessary? Would it add any particular benefit other than a little more speed?
If all we need to do is audio work, a GHz edition isn't a requirement I guess, however a slightly faster clock speed wouldn't hurt.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:35 AM

Made a little test yeterday with High Sierra, turns out it doesn't see my trusty 896 no matter what. I've tried disabling kext verification, allowing everything in security preferences, nothing!

So I'm going to need both a new video card and new interface if I want to experience Pro Tools in dark mode For now, I have to stay on Sierra.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
This is going to seem like a stupid question but I need some clarification. When you say 'no picture' what exactly does that mean? When I start my 2012 cheesegrater with Samsung monitor the screen sometimes stays blank (black) after the pong sound and about 15 seconds later I get a usable desktop. Other times after getting the pong sound I'll get a grey screen and a loading progress bar and again 15 seconds after the pong I have a usable desktop. HD5770 video card. I'm okay with not seeing anything until I have a usable desktop.

I should add that until the monitor sees the video card it cycles through the various connections so the various options flash up on the screen in the upper left corner.
He is referring to the "boot screen" which is the grey screen with the Apple logo and has a progress bar. You will not see that if you do not have a EFI capable GPU. It will be black until the OS loads

So I have a question due to your comment. Are you able to access the boot volume screen by holding down the option key during start up?

What you described as sometimes having a black screen until the OS has loaded, and sometimes seeing the grey screen and loading progress bar, sounds conflicting. The grey screen is the boot screen so how come it shows up randomly? My understanding is it's either always or never. The 5770 is the stock card for your cMP so it should always be showing a boot screen. Unless you have a 4K monitor hooked up, meaning you have a resolution or using a protocol that isn't compatible, such as DP 1.4 but it can only use up to DP 1.1 or 1.2. Then I could understand why it's not displaying the boot screen at times (due to user settings).

OSX 10.13.6 - Pro Tools 2018.12 - Presonus Studio 192 / Digi 003 Rack+
Focusrite Clarett OctoPre - AKG HPE6 - DBX160A - WA76
Old 06-06-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
AFAIK, they're all "HD", whatever they mean by that
I have one more question if you don't mind. Does the manufacturer make any difference in performance or quality?

I see 7950 and 7970 cards made by AMD, XFX and Sapphire.

As long as it is the correct model should it be fine?

Apologies for the million questions. You've been incredibly helpful! I really appreciate it.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
That's the boot screen, which is supposed to be visible with an HD 5770 (assuming you have the stock card that came with your Mac Pro).

Unflashed PC cards won't display anything until the graphic drivers are fully loaded. Cards with a Mac BIOS allow you to see the grey boot screen and progress bar. Not seeing this could be an issue when you have to select a different startup disk on need to boot on single user mode, or recovery, because those things have to be done *during* the startup sequence. A PC card won't display anything until the startup sequence is finished.
The card that's in the computer is what came from OWC. They don't say exactly what they do to what is essentially a refurb machine other than to make sure it works. I know they put their own ram in because when I went to 48 gig from the 32 gig it came with the ram modules had OWC stickers on them.

QAPLA!
Old 06-06-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzo View Post
He is referring to the "boot screen" which is the grey screen with the Apple logo and has a progress bar. You will not see that if you do not have a EFI capable GPU. It will be black until the OS loads

So I have a question due to your comment. Are you able to access the boot volume screen by holding down the option key during start up?

What you described as sometimes having a black screen until the OS has loaded, and sometimes seeing the grey screen and loading progress bar, sounds conflicting. The grey screen is the boot screen so how come it shows up randomly? My understanding is it's either always or never. The 5770 is the stock card for your cMP so it should always be showing a boot screen. Unless you have a 4K monitor hooked up, meaning you have a resolution or using a protocol that isn't compatible, such as DP 1.4 but it can only use up to DP 1.1 or 1.2. Then I could understand why it's not displaying the boot screen at times (due to user settings).
I have always been able to access the boot volume screen with this computer (as he knocks on wood). That's part pf my procedure when I do my clones/backups. I option boot into the drive I cloned to to make sure the clone works and then I boot back in to the main drive. My system drive is a Samsung 850 EVO on an OWC pcie adapter card

QAPLA!
Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
The best (i.e cheapest) option for the 2010/2012 Mac Pros is AMD 7950 or 7970. I'll get one fo those for mine.
I just put an Apple flashed AMD 7970 in my 2010 Mac Pro. System Information reports it as "Metal: Supported".

Hopefully it will support the next OS version. I'm quite happy with the performance of this machine is it's current configuration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 8.12.12 PM.jpg (35.0 KB, 0 views)
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:41 AM

Hello,

Quote:
If it's not a Mac card or a PC card specifically flashed to be a Mac-compatible card, it's usable in a MP after the drivers are loaded but you will not see the boot manager screen when using the option key. One of our MPs had a PC card, we changed to a Mac card for that reason. We do drive cloning/restore, maintenance, etc. using the boot manager so that was necessary for us.

Hugh
Old 06-14-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-H View Post
Hello,

If it's not a Mac card or a PC card specifically flashed to be a Mac-compatible card, it's usable in a MP after the drivers are loaded but you will not see the boot manager screen when using the option key. One of our MPs had a PC card, we changed to a Mac card for that reason. We do drive cloning/restore, maintenance, etc. using the boot manager so that was necessary for us.

Hugh

Yea I fully understand that. I was just confused by his comment on saying sometimes the boot screen does not show, and other times it does show. To me that is just plain conflicting, it does not make sense, it cannot happen. Either the card has the EFI on it to display the boot screens or it does not. Though like I mentioned, if using 4K or higher settings or wrong protocols it is possible to not get the actual display of the boot screen because these are incompatible user settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691
When I start my 2012 cheesegrater with Samsung monitor the screen sometimes stays blank (black) after the pong sound and about 15 seconds later I get a usable desktop. Other times after getting the pong sound I'll get a grey screen and a loading progress bar and again 15 seconds after the pong I have a usable desktop.
This is further funny sounding after he also stated he can always access the boot volume selection screen, which is an EFI screen. That would indicate he should always see the boot screen (as in the grey screen with apple logo and progress bar). Honestly I was just pointing out something that sounded strange because if it displays the boot screen randomly that is a sign something is wrong whether it is the hardware starting to fail or user settings.

OSX 10.13.6 - Pro Tools 2018.12 - Presonus Studio 192 / Digi 003 Rack+
Focusrite Clarett OctoPre - AKG HPE6 - DBX160A - WA76