Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2006, 09:44 PM

Default Audible \"Spikes\" on record-enabled tracks...

Hello, I am currently attempting to run PT 7.1 via OS X 10.4.5 on a Digi 002R. I was a content PT 6.4 user via 10.3.x previously who had debugged his system to run smoothly, then decided to upgrade because for all intents and purposes, apparently, I am insane and want more recording problems.

I am setting up my first session in 7.1 and getting audible spikes on record-enabled tracks, which is a problem I had many, many moons ago and resolved somehow. Of course, I do not remember what I did to fix it then and most likely, it wouldn't work for this version anyway. Obivously, I don't want these audible "spikes" coming through on any recordings.

I've trashed preferences and DAE folders and the like, repaired permissions, checked hardware setups...I just don't know what it is. I seem to remember it being a clocking issue before, but like I said, I've gone through the hardware setups and tried different things there and nothing changes the spiking.

I've got a OctoPre that goes through the ADAT lightpipe connection to the 002R. Maybe this presents a clocking issue of some kind which is making the "spikes"?

Thank you for your time,
Marco B.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Audible \"Spikes\" on record-enabled tracks...

It sounds like a clock issue to me.Just check you have the clock source set to ADAT if you are using the Octopre.
Good luck
Old 04-30-2006, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Audible \"Spikes\" on record-enabled tracks...

by spikes do you mean pops and clicks?

If so, it is definitely a clocking problem.

Which is the master clock? If it is the 002 then you have to be sure the octopre is the slave, Pro Tools should be set to Internal (under hardware set-up)

if it is the octopre, then be sure it is connected with ADAT cables and the Pro Tools is set to ADAT, or with SPDIF cables set Pro Tools to SPDIF.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96