Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2020, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyclash34 View Post
Question for you on hyperthreading. How much of a performance drop in terms of plugin counts etc do you notice with it off?
I got improved performance, stability and a higher plugin count when I disabled HT on my I9-9900K Windows system.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:58 AM

Default Pro Tools 2020.5 - Still no QT Bounce?

What about core functions, such as "Bounce to Quicktime", and importing the audio from QTs? Catalina was released quite a long time ago. If the main workflow solution is to use a third party vendor (Video Slave), why hasn't Avid at least provided a Video Slave license for Pro Tools users to use until Pro Tools can do some of the very basic things it is supposed to do?
Old 05-24-2020, 10:05 AM

Hi, welcome to the community.

Maybe because PT can be used with other OS than Catalina? It is not necessary for you to use Catalina and if you choose to use it there are plenty of knowledgebase articles to tell you which codecs are working and which are not.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If you're asking about MIDI fixes - nothing has been delineated in the readme so I'd say no MIDI fixes. Damn - was hoping for a fix for the MIDI event list bugs.

edit for additional:
Downloaded and installed and can verify there's been no fixes for MIDI event list issues I've had verified by Avid tech support. And there's a new issue with the MIDI event list: It will only show the MIDI track you have selected in either the track list or have highlighted/selected in the Edit screen. Phooey. I sincerely doubt I'll renew come July as it looks like Avid has totally given up on fixing MIDI (but we pretty much know that already).

edit for clarification to above:
What I meant to say was you can't select any other track in the event list than the one that's highlighted in the edit screen or track list. All the other tracks are italicized in the event list and can't be selected. Really wanted to use folder tracks but not unless Avid fixes this event list stuff.
I started a support case on Friday and got a reply yesterday asking me to do a video. I know we've been all over this nonsense before and that ain't germane here. What is surprising is I got a reply on a weekend even a holiday weekend. So Avid support does work. Sent them screenshots of the issue - wonder how long it will take to escalate up the support ladder.

Anybody else having issues with the MIDI event list?

QAPLA!
Old 05-24-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hi, welcome to the community.

Maybe because PT can be used with other OS than Catalina? It is not necessary for you to use Catalina and if you choose to use it there are plenty of knowledgebase articles to tell you which codecs are working and which are not.
Thanks for the response. Catalina is the only OS that works on the current 16" laptops. So if a laptop rig dies, the only solution is to replace it with the older 15" model. Not a great solution, and the question still remains: when will pro tools be fully compatible w Catalina?
Old 05-24-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdrummerj View Post
Thanks for the response. Catalina is the only OS that works on the current 16" laptops. So if a laptop rig dies, the only solution is to replace it with the older 15" model. Not a great solution, and the question still remains: when will pro tools be fully compatible w Catalina?
Bit by bit. Anything you run on Catalina and later will have to be fully 64 bit so it may take some time. Also may mean some things we had before are lost in transition. Will have to wait and see. Workarounds available, just read the knowledgebase articles.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I started a support case on Friday and got a reply yesterday asking me to do a video. I know we've been all over this nonsense before and that ain't germane here. What is surprising is I got a reply on a weekend even a holiday weekend. So Avid support does work. Sent them screenshots of the issue - wonder how long it will take to escalate up the support ladder.

Anybody else having issues with the MIDI event list?

Yep. I am as well. Same exact thing musicman691 described, I am dealing with. Which is a major bummer for me because I actually use the MIDI event list a lot. It all started when I jumped to version 2020.3.

If you (or anyone else who may read this) find a solution to the problem or get a heads up from Avid about a future update that will address it, please drop a line about it if at all possible.

Last edited by Z-Rock; 05-24-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Rock View Post
Yep. I am as well. Same exact thing musicman691 described, I am dealing with. Which is a major bummer for me because I actually use the MIDI event list a lot. It all started when I jumped to version 2020.3.

If you (or anyone else who may read this) find a solution to the problem or get a heads up from Avid about a future update that will address it, please drop a line about it if at all possible.
MIDI event list problems cropped up back in 2019.10 with the way deletions of events are handled. It's getting worse - part of Avid's 'we don't give a damn' attitude towards MIDI.

QAPLA!
Old 05-25-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Avid's 'we don't give a damn' attitude towards MIDI.
Well put.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
Looks like 2020.5 has dropped.

Anybody dive in yet?
Hope they fixed the OMF thing. I appreciate the notice. Slammed on a big project right now, but will grab the info at least and in a week will migrate if all looks good. Still running 2019.12 out of necessity.

Thanks again-:)

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS