Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 06-30-2020, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Can not save, "The system cannot find the file specified"

I just had an online support session with a very friendly and competent support guy from Avid!!!
He was really very helpfull and interested in solving this issue, but it seems to be more a topic for Synology....

The support guy did NOT say, that Synology DOES NOT work, or that AVID is not supporting other NAS than Avid's. He asked about some parameters about the NAS configuration and showed real interest in making our setup to run, even if we finally failed.

Interesting detail:
Last week we moved our Pro Tools Projects onto a Fileserver, that runs on Win10/2004 (a simple HP Z400 workstation, nothing special). A shared drive runs without any issue, just as we were used from Synology NAS'.

Since it works fine on a Windows file server, the last Synology Update might cause the problems.

I will contact Synology to see, if they have any idea to solve the issue.
All the best from Vienna,
Stefan.

Last edited by mcfid; 06-30-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the update. I had a very positive interaction with Synology, but they could not solve the problem--instead directing me back to Avid who has still not responded except to ask the drive format (ONE MONTH NOW). But I do think it's related to the last DiskStation update. Let me know what you find out!

Cheers from Chicago.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl501 View Post
..........but I do think it's related to the last DiskStation update.......
I am totally convinced of that!
I think, that the latest SYNOLOGY update misinterprets somehow the metadata stream of Pro Tools, or the SMB Protokoll differs between AVID and Synology.

BTW: Do you run any Media Composer Version on a computer within your network?

Will keep you updated....

Cheers,
Stefan.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:47 PM

Hi All,

just joined so i could share my work around. I have experienced this annoying issue on one our production NASs RS3614xs+ and neither vendor was very helpful.
However over the weekend i was able to get the NAS working on the latest firmware DSM 6.2.3-25426.

download the correct version of the previous firmware from here https://archive.synology.com/downloa...e/6.2.2/24922/
install winscp on a computer that can access the nas
open the previous firmware with 7zip and find the same files above, extract them to a new folder
Enable SSH on the NAS and SSH into the synology
once logged in sudo su to root and enter the following commands
synoservicectl -stop smbd
pkill afpd
copy the following files through winscp /usr/bin/smbd, /usr/bin/afpd and folder /usr/lib/samba to your local computer
copy the 2 new files and folder via winscp to the tmp folder on the synology
go back to your SSH session and enter
cp -f /tmp/smbd /usr/bin/
cp -f /tmp/afpd /usr/bin/
cp -R -f /tmp/samba/* /usr/lib/samba/*
login to the synology, goto file services and untick SMB and AFP, click apply then re tick them and click apply.

Pro tools should start working again :)

Last edited by matto-ARN; 07-12-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:20 AM

We have the same issue. Haven't been able to solve it. The strange thing is, since we have both Mac and PC's on the the NAS, the issue is present only with the Windows machines. The Mac's work great.

If anyone has fond a simpler solution, please share.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tik-Tak View Post
We have the same issue. Haven't been able to solve it. The strange thing is, since we have both Mac and PC's on the the NAS, the issue is present only with the Windows machines. The Mac's work great.

If anyone has fond a simpler solution, please share.
I'm just going to mention something that may or may not relate to the saving issues that have been mentioned in this thread. It seems that PC's have an issue with files whose total path names go above a certain number of characters. So I've had issues at work where we're using Pro Tools on a PC and then we archive the projects to an archive network, if there are too many subfolders and the character names of the folders/subfolders/file names go above a certain number, I can't save the files. When I come across that, I either shorten the project file name or shorten the names of the various folders/subfolders until the total number of characters in the path get under whatever the limit is. (But I've never actually counted to see what the total character limit is for the total path of a file in Windows.)
Old 09-07-2020, 03:57 PM

This article might be helpful.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-07-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
This article might be helpful.
Interesting--thanks!
Old 09-08-2020, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Can not save, "The system cannot find the file specified" - SOLUTION

Hi Guys,

We solved the problem last night, or to be more precise, we did not solve the problem caused by the SMB update, during the last Synology update, but we found alternative way to map the network drive.

This fix applies only to Windows 10, as Macs were not affected by the issue. The issue was caused by introducing SMB 3 in the latest Synology update. We also tried the fix suggested by @matto-ARN but it didn't work, so our IT guy did this,

1 First off, disconnected any mounted network drives on the Windows machine

2. On the PC, in the control panel, go to programs, than go to "Turn windows features on and off" and select Services for NSF (both administrative tools and Client for NFS)

3. In the NAS interface, go to Control Panel > Shared Folders. Select the first shared folder and click Edit > NFS permissions. It should be blank. Click Create.
Hostname/IP is the local IP of the NAS. Add range of IP addresses on the network. Example: 192. 168.100.100 0/24

Privilege: Read/Write

Squash: Map all users to admin ( This might be tricky if you have users with different permissions, however, for us, it was more important to go back to our workflow than the permission issue at the moment). I am sure there is way to map it to specific user, but we did not explore.

Security set to Sys

Tick Enable Asynchronus and Allow connections from non privileged ports.

Repeat this process for all shared folders you want to mount.

When completed, restart the NAS.

From any PC on the network, run CMD and mount the drives as NFS using this command

mount -F nfs [-o mount-options] server:/directory /mount-point

The problem is solved. The good thing is that once you mount, you wont have to do it every time the PC restarts

Let me know if this fix works for you and hopefully, Synology will fix the Samba issue with the next update.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:08 AM

Thanks for posting. I'll give this a try -- and will forward to Synology.