Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2015, 01:18 AM

Default Mbox 3 pro crashing/disconnecting

Hi
I just upgraded to the Mbox 3 pro from the Mbox 2 pro.
It works great when connected but the thing is after not using it for some hours, lets say overnight I find it every morning with the power light blinking and the device disconnected.
I have to re-plug the firewire cable in order it to work again and sometimes reboot, its frustrating.
I tried it with different firewire cables, but no luck.
I'm using a PCI-express card for the firewire connection.
The weird thing is that i had the exact same issue with my old Mbox 2 pro.
Anyone knows whats the problem? please help, i'm lost.
Thanks a lot.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Mbox 3 pro crashing/disconnecting

Hi and Welcome to the Community

You probably have the computer set to the sleep function which is NEVER a good idea with PT or any DAW for that matter.δ

When you are going to be away from the computer for a while you have to shut everything down and restart in the morning when you want to resume work.

Shut off any power saving and sleep function and never use that again for music purposes,

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-26-2015, 07:41 AM

Hi Christopher
Thanks for the reply.
Where do I change these settings?
In windows 7, my desktop was set to no sleep in all categories through the advance power settings menu. but the Mbox keeps crashing.
So what you are saying is that its not possible to leave the Mbox pro running for 24/7 without it disconnecting after some hours not being used?
Thanks again
Old 09-26-2015, 08:32 AM

As we use Mac and i haven't owned a PC since 1997 i would ask someone else to chime in so this can be cleared up. So you don't have any snooze or sleep or pwer down management activated right?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-26-2015, 09:07 AM

Nope, the only thing that goes in to sleep-mode after an hour, is the computer monitor.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:12 AM

See if this helps.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...9b31bf5?auth=1
Also, try a new cable
Old 09-26-2015, 09:34 AM

I tried both, still disconnects
Old 09-27-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoronFarhi View Post
Nope, the only thing that goes in to sleep-mode after an hour, is the computer monitor.
Disable Screen Saver.

Temporarily disable any Anti-Virus software until restart.

If that doesn’t fix it – Disable Network Adapters (get off the Net!) and all the other tips from Windows 7 Optimizations and Troubleshooting
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en349411
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 09-30-2015, 10:27 PM

I tried almost everything :/
still crashing overnight
its frustrating
Old 09-30-2015, 10:54 PM

Telling us you "tried almost everything" tells us nothing. Tell us exactly what you tried.

What exact Firewire adapter are you using? Is it a recommended model like a SiiG using a TI chipset? Eitherway I would beg/borrow/buy a new FW card and try that out.

Although certainly not as bad as say the fragility of the 003 Firewire interface I'm still paranoid about hot plugging any Firewire interface and it breaking, I'd avoid doing that, maybe reboot the computer instead.

Are you leaving Pro Tools open overnight? If so don't do that.

As mentioned, the most obvious, and very common problem that will cause things like this is just computer sleeping. (but that often needs the computer to be rebooted to clear, your unplugging/plugging may be a different issue. You have to carefully do *every* step in the optimization guide for your OS and Pro Tools version. Do every last thing, however inconvenient. And as already mentioned disable screen saver/sleep, disable AV (better unisntall it an never install any again). Check there is nothing starting up overnight, like backups or software updates, AV update downloads, unisntall all the crapware like that on your system etc.

Still stuck. Grab a spare drive, do a clean install of Windows on that. Install the FW drivers, install absolutely nothing else, not updates, no apps, nothing and leave overnight to see if this problem happens again.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-30-2015 at 11:06 PM.