Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 10-14-2018, 08:57 AM

Default Ableton Push as a mix controller

Knowing that Ableton’s Push can only be used as a MIDI controller in Pro Tools—has anyone used it as one in Pro Tools?

Specifically, I’d be selling my Artist Mix to help purchase one and although it’s not close to the Mix’s functionality I’m wondering if a Push would do a decent job with volumes and pan in a pinch.

Any PT tips from Push users appreciated!
Old 10-14-2018, 02:43 PM

Default Ableton Push as a mix controller

You can’t use standard MIDI controllers to control things like faders and pan knobs in Pro Tools. Well, you can emulate an M-Audio controller, but it’s not great.

The best you an do with a standard MIDI controller is use it to control plugins that support MIDI learn, but again, it’s not elegant as you’ll need to have an active MIDI channel in rec mode for it to work.

Don’t sell your Artist Mix. Having recently bought one solely for hands on control of plugins, it is (IMHO) the only real way to control plugins, faders etc. within Pro Tools.

I’m shocked they don’t make a faderless version with 16 pots solely for plugin control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Ableton Push as a mix controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
You can’t use standard MIDI controllers to control things like faders and pan knobs in Pro Tools…
Ah, no! That's disappointing to hear, thanks for the heads up. I always thought you could map a MIDI layout to the basics in PT, but I guess I was thinking of Mackie HUI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Don’t sell your Artist Mix. Having recently bought one solely for hands on control of plugins, it is (IMHO) the only real way to control plugins, faders etc. within Pro Tools.

I’m shocked they don’t make a faderless version with 16 pots solely for plugin control.
I hear you, it's a hard sell but I'm in Live way more than PT these days. I do wish they added more features or tailored the hardware since acquiring Euphonix, too. The layout seems dated and not at all in touch with typical PT workflows, which is why I mostly used it for fader rides and panning.