Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2013, 08:34 AM

Default System update please EXPERT help !!

Hi,

Im still working on my old macbook titanium on tiger 10,4,11 on PT LE 7,4 with music production toolkit and a basic M-BOX.

Jut bought the new MBP haswell (mavericks) few days ago so i want to be able to work on PT with it quickly.

My main problem is to be able to read and work WITHOUT ANY PLUG-IN LOSS OR ANYTHING... on my old PT sessions on this new system.

So please only experts (To be honest even experts from AVID gave me a very bad advice once which causes me the loss of 6 months of work, so no need to say im really scared now as music is my job..) what im supposed to do ?

Is my PT 7,4 can be update to be compatible with mavericks ? Or should i buy a new PT software ? iF i need to buy a new PT software, which version ? ( not talking about HD or LE as i need just a basic set up but the year of the version here) Because as i was looking youtube tutorials on PT 11, the narrator was saying that on PT11 one have to be conscious that all the engine was completely new consequently plug-ins are new so may be not compatible with my old PT sessions ????

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:08 AM

Default Re: System update please EXPERT help !!

You need to start by reading Avid's release notes and systems requirements info for yourself.

You can only purchase Pro Tools 11 from Avid now, it also comes with a Pro Tools 10 license.

Only Pro Tools 11 is officially supported on Mavericks. Pro Tools 10 (and 9 and maybe earlier) can be made to run but you will get into uninstaller problems). I could not imagine wanting to beat my head against ancient Pro Tools 7 on Mavericks and have no idea if it can be gotten to run. But your biggest problem is the Mbox (presuming it is a first generation Mbox--if not say so) will not work on Mavericks and so therefore you cannot use Pro Tools LE 7.

Nobody can say what will work or not for you since we have no idea what exactly you are doing with Pro Tools, what interface features you need etc.

You need to purchase a new interface, an Eleven Rack is a cost effective way of getting an Pro Tools 11/10 license, a great guitar processor and a audio interface. Otherwise the next bundle with a Full Pro Tools 11/10 software is an Mbox Pro. You can also purchase Pro Tools 11/10 software by itself and use with the built-in audio on your Mac say if you are just doing composing/mixing and don't need to connect mics etc. for tracking. That software will cost you $600 to $700 so its usually better just to buy a interface+Pro Tools bundle.

You normally want to think about all this before upgrading your computer.

PT 11 can load PT 7 sessions, as well as will open plugins in those sessions... as long as those plugins are available in AAX-64 format for Pro Tools 11. You need to check what plugins you are using are available for, or come standard, with Pro Tools 11. All that info is on Avid's product web pages for Pro Tools 11.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-28-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:50 AM

Montreal ;

Options ;
1 - open your old sessions on your old system . . And finnish them on your old system. .
2 - open your old sessions on your old system & print everything. . Then import the resulting files into your new system. .

Darryl is right. . One should give this a big think before leaping off the board. .
This particular upgrade is unique because PT is moving from 32 to 64 bit. . It's a real ball breaker if you want to port old sessions with a mass of plug ins. .

best to finnish old projects on the system you were using & start new projects on the new system. .
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 12-28-2013, 01:21 PM

okay.

First thanks a lot for your answers.

Just would like to add that i use only plugin supply in the software !!

So do you think it will be usable with AAX PT 11 ?
Old 12-28-2013, 03:20 PM

Montie,, Baby …!
Come on now…
This is a good chance for us all to find out …
If you have only the plugs that come with Tools … in your old sessions.
Take your stuff to a dealer on an HDD & open it up, print & A B back at yours ?
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 12-28-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priorytools View Post
Montie,, Baby …!
Come on now…
This is a good chance for us all to find out …
If you have only the plugs that come with Tools … in your old sessions.
Take your stuff to a dealer on an HDD & open it up, print & A B back at yours ?
Sorry my english is very bad what do you mean exactly ? Why an HDD ? And what is A B ?
Old 12-28-2013, 06:32 PM

I think he is trying to be funny (and succeeded) but that is lost in translation.

I think the point is you should know or can easily work out exactly what plugins you gave been using and if they are available in Pro Tools 11. We have no idea of exactly what you are using.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I think he is trying to be funny (and succeeded) but that is lost in translation.

I think the point is you should know or can easily work out exactly what plugins you gave been using and if they are available in Pro Tools 11. We have no idea of exactly what you are using.
LoL okay.
thought i was clear enough sorry.
I said that i use only plugin supply on the install cd of PT 7,4 LE. Only basics one.
Im not home so can't tell you exactly their names but i thought it could be clear enough maybe to have an opinion ?
Old 12-28-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
LoL okay.
thought i was clear enough sorry.
I said that i use only plugin supply on the install cd of PT 7,4 LE. Only basics one.
Im not home so can't tell you exactly their names but i thought it could be clear enough maybe to have an opinion ?
Yes my opinion is you need to check _exactly_ what you use and check they are available in, or for, Pro Tools 11.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:47 AM

Most basic plugg-in's that were available in PT 7 are still in PT 11 is my guess. The only thing is that they may have gotten better....

But if you worked on some sessions for so long did you never come to a final result?

I suggest that you experiment a little. Download a free version of PT11 and import some of your PT7 sessions. See what has gone missing and how bad it is.

Just play around a little and see what you can do and what not. (And ditch the old stuff.......