Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Default Probably a stupid question to an old problem

Hey guys I know this has probably been beaten to death but I need answers.

I know you don't care for a story so I'll give you the bullet points.

1. Black Lion digi 002 w/ pt9 is on the way
2. currently have digi 001 w/ pt 6.4 (sorry for lagging behind)
3. Just built a conservative yet solid foundation pc that I can expand upon as I need. (specs are below)
4. tried hooking up digi 001 while i wait on the 002

PROBLEM!!!!!! -6004 ERROR

I Know, I know there are MANY threads on this, and trust me if I found the answer I wouldn't be starting this thread.

Here's what Ive tried so far:

1. Reseated card and cable (many times)
2. installed ALL the software and updates needed including but not limited to wavesdriver, 6.4cs9, mme helper, etc, etc.
3. put card in it's own assigned IRQ
4. Tried changing bios from ACPI to just Multicore TWICE! had to reinstall windows TWICE because of that one!

Anyway, I know my card and interface are good. I basically just switched them from my old computer (which i sold right after) into this new one.

If anyone has another suggestion PLEEAAAASEE HELP! I'M STARTING TO GET THE SHAKES! Ive been without pro tools for a few days now and I'm going through withdraws!! I NEED A FIX ASAP!!

Thanks
Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Probably a stupid question to an old problem

COMPUTER SPECS

i3 core
Intel DZ68DB MoBo
(chipset) Z68
Windows XP
4 Gigs Ram
Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 PM

BTW The computer recognizes the PCI card. even shows up in Device Manager as Digidesign.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:44 PM

You really need to post a Sandra report, but I suspect that your PC is not a good choice. Z68 mobo's have integrated graphics(often a show stopper with PT) and the little i3 is a budget cpu, not a power cpu. For audio recording, you need power. I would also go ahead and install Windows 7(you need it for PT9 anyway) and forget trying to get the old 001 working(unless you enjoy the frustration). Disabling the onboard graphics and adding a modest nVidia graphics card may help.
Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 PM

Sandra report was good advice Albe. But I'm running a HP P6630f only change i made was adding a video card. performance is not an issue. In fact. until it died last week i was running PT8 without problems on an Athlon X2. Big sessions small session no problem. Lots of plugs like Trillian, Guitar Rig 5 and eq and comp on most channels. No problem. In fact I use the HP for video edditing with Media Composer too, no problem. i3 shoudl be plenty to run protools successfully. I also run every day on both and i5 and i7 laptop. I think processing power seems to be more about system stability and overall state of repair than raw stats. Have you followed all the optimization guids OP?
Old 04-15-2012, 02:11 PM

My i3 work laptop is straight up sorry won't handle session past five tracks plug-ins terrible - would never do it wouldn't recommend it to anybody

But if it works for you man go for good luck
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:13 PM

Waiting for PT nine to come in with the 002 stop stressing - anything else is just setting yourself up for more problems
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:45 PM

Hey guys thanks so much for responding. And yes I did do all the optimizations. As far as waiting on the upgrades, up to this point I've had no choice lol. But being without a way to record and compose is KILLING ME!!! I feel like a crack addict without a fix.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 PM

ill post you a Sandra for all my systems in the morning. They are nothing special. I do use the recommended work flows is most cases and that avoids ALLOT of headaches. HAHA i just realized my home machine (the i3 HP) is running RADE on the system drive. You can visit my indaba page to check the complexity of the songs im working on at home. I'm giving myself about 72 hours production time to finish these.

Think about it. You had this interface working on a SLOWER computer. Raw speed isnt the problem. It seems to me protools 6.1 and windows7 are probably a bigger problem than your hardware. Have you tried running the .exe in windows XP comparability mode. The optimization pages are different for windows7 and windows XP They are also addressing different problems with the OS and known compatibility issues with pro tools.

ACPI as far as i know hasn't much role in selecting cores or hyper threading. Its a power handling protocol.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 PM

I'm running xp right now. I can get a copy of windows 7 if needed. but when i built this computer i felt xp was best due to the fact that all the bugs have been worked out between avid and microsoft in the compatibility arena.